1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT interview

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by munky26, Mar 5, 2011.

1. I have an interview on Monday. I am doing a lesson on instruction texts, creating a recipe for making pancakes. My learning objectives are as follows:
    1. To be able to listen to and follow instructions carefully.
    2. To be able to write a set of instructions using appropriate form and features.
    3. To be able to evaluate instructions for purpose, organisation layout, clarity and usefulness.

I have a video clip to show how, when cooking, if instructions are wrong, it can be a disastrous.
    I also have paper plates on which they can write their final recipes and then bring them home to make on tuesday.
    I am unsure of what to do to assess their learning at the start of the lesson and in what way to organise the classroom activity. I have made a who wants to be a millionaire quiz but I was hoping to use this at the end of the lesson as a form of assessment.

The prior learning assessment will have to be quick, so as to start the main activity. I was thinking of a think pair share activity so I could observe chat and tailor the rest of the lesson -any ideas?

In terms of the main structure of the lesson I was thinking of preparing picture resources of the steps of making a pancake and muddle them on the floor - with the children all in a circle around me. As a class we would then put them in order and think of the kinds of language we need to use when using instructions?

Help will be greatly appreciated, in addition, in general will I ask the children to go to their literacy tables in undertaking the activity and use their talk partner for guidance?

2. I have an interview on Monday. I am doing a lesson on instruction texts, creating a recipe for making pancakes. My learning objectives are as follows:
    1. To be able to listen to and follow instructions carefully.
    2. To be able to write a set of instructions using appropriate form and features.
    3. To be able to evaluate instructions for purpose, organisation layout, clarity and usefulness.

I have a video clip to show how, when cooking, if instructions are wrong, it can be a disastrous.
    I also have paper plates on which they can write their final recipes and then bring them home to make on tuesday.
    I am unsure of what to do to assess their learning at the start of the lesson and in what way to organise the classroom activity. I have made a who wants to be a millionaire quiz but I was hoping to use this at the end of the lesson as a form of assessment.

The prior learning assessment will have to be quick, so as to start the main activity. I was thinking of a think pair share activity so I could observe chat and tailor the rest of the lesson -any ideas?

In terms of the main structure of the lesson I was thinking of preparing picture resources of the steps of making a pancake and muddle them on the floor - with the children all in a circle around me. As a class we would then put them in order and think of the kinds of language we need to use when using instructions?

Help will be greatly appreciated, in addition, in general will I ask the children to go to their literacy tables in undertaking the activity and use their talk partner for guidance?

3. Which year group is it, and how long is the lesson? It sounds like you're packing a lot into it . However I am no expert on primary (or in fact any kind of) teaching as I'm a secondary nqt, all the interview lessons I've done have been short 20 or 30 minute ones...)

Are they the objectives that you've been given or did you come up with them yourself?

personally I wouldn't have a learning objective about listening if you're not specifically teaching them how to listen or follow instructions. Just because that's something they're giong to do in the lesson, doesn't mean it needs to be in your objectives...

-similarly with your 3rd objective, what are they actually doing to 'evaluate' the instructions?

You want something that is clear which you can easily show the kids have all managed to do.

I would have something like: "you will be able to write a set of clear and useful instructions", OR, 1. you will be able to understand the features of useful instructions, 2. you will be able to use these features in your own writing

Just a suggestion! Sorry I havent given any suggestinos for what you ACTUALLY wanted help with which was the activities :)

4. by the way i like the paper plates and video idea.

I'd think about what you were giong to ask them to think about/watch for/do while watching the video.

One way of getting them to know the importance of clear instructions is getting them to give you instructions for something which should be simple, (eg. making a sandwich,) but interpreting everything wrong as if you're an idiot (taking too much bread out of the packet, using a tiny amount of butter, buttering the edge of the bread rather than the side, usign a spoon instead of a knife, etc) however this might be quite similar to what your video is showing, I don't know..just an idea :)

5. hi, it is a year 4 lesson and the video shows making a smoothie without the lid on as the instructions did not suggest this and there is a mess everywhere. the lesson is for an hour.

6. cally1980

cally1980 Established commenter

You will need to choose just one learning objective, e.g. To write an effective set of instructions. The other bits could form part of your success criteria.

7. I have created instruction mats for each table as a recap for them when they go to the task, I need some advice on how to assess prior learning and how to start the activity. I was thinking of doing a class concept map- with the children giving me the correct information that you need for a recipe. I have the book Mr wolfs pancakes to introduce the topic of recipes and that we can write a recipe that they can use to make their own. I just dont know how to start the lesson and how to asses their prior knowledge -what happens if they have already done this topic?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Like your idea of a class concept map to assess current level of knowledge-which would indicate 'prior' knowledge & doesn't then matter if they have done the activity before, then becomes how much do they remember?
    Using your map this would lead neatly into your question' Does it matter in which order we do these things?'

9. cally1980

If they have done instructions before you could get them to compile their own success criteria of things they will include, e.g.
    I will use time connectives
    I will use imperative verbs to explain 'what'
    I will use adverbs to explain 'how'

etc etc

10. thanks, I feel a little bit settled now, as I have the setup in my head now -thanks for your advice!

11. thank you, yeah I could ask them to tell me their own success criteria, that would make the lesson more effective and able me to assess their knowledge and then learning at the end of the lesson -thanks very much

12. cally1980

Best of luck, keep us posted!