1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice
  3. The Teacher Q&A will be closing soon.

If you have any information that you would like to keep or refer to in the future please can you copy and paste the information to a format suitable for you to save or take screen shots of the questions and responses you are interested in.

Don’t forget you can still use the rest of the forums on theTes Community to post questions and get the advice, help and support you require from your peers for all your teaching needs.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by munky26, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Hi all, I have got an interview for an NQT post and I am really worried about the lesson. All I have been told; I am teaching year 4 class, a literacy lesson and they want elements of handwriting on the board. I will be observed by the board for 15 mins, but the lesson could last for up to an hour with the teacher then observing the flow of the lesson.
    What does that really mean it is kind of vague- I am thinking of emailing and asking for more information.
    Any ideas on what to do do make it interesting and fun and manageable as I am extremely nervous!

Thanks

2. Hi all, I have got an interview for an NQT post and I am really worried about the lesson. All I have been told; I am teaching year 4 class, a literacy lesson and they want elements of handwriting on the board. I will be observed by the board for 15 mins, but the lesson could last for up to an hour with the teacher then observing the flow of the lesson.
    What does that really mean it is kind of vague- I am thinking of emailing and asking for more information.
    Any ideas on what to do do make it interesting and fun and manageable as I am extremely nervous!

Thanks

3. Hi Munky26,
    I am not a primary teacher (secondary, in fact) so I haven't done a primary interview but I have had a few interviews with the micro-teacing element.
    I would imagine that while you are observed that the board are looking for
    • how you engage with the children
    • what behaviour management strategies you employ (hopefully, this shouldn't be too difficult as they will probably be wary of you)
    • if you have the "spark" which they are looking for (you will never plan for that)
    • most importantly, that in the time they are watching you (15 mins), you can demonstrate that the students have made progress.
    In the remainder of the lesson while the teacher is watching you, I can only imagine that s/he is ensuring you are consistent so that they are confident you haven't pulled it out of the bag for those 15 mins. S/hewill also see if the above points are still followed through and that the learning is being developed. Lastly, I would imagine s/he will want to make sure your lesson has a good, purposeful pace and a good level of challenge.

Hope that helped?

4. thanks, yeah that has helped -thanks