1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview on place value

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ryanneb, Apr 30, 2019.

1. ryanneb

ryanneb New commenter

Hi there I have my first teaching interview on Thursday and have been asked to teach a Y1 class a 40 minute lesson on place value. And do an interactive reading session for EYFS.

For the maths I was thinking about showing a video on place value and playing a class matching game of putting a number with a pictorial representation and then the written number.
    For the activities I was thinking about giving LA worksheets which they could stick and draw on the pictorial representation and for MA and HA give them egg boxes which they have to shake and a counter will land in a number (at the bottom of the egg box, and then they segment the number into place value eg. 18 is 10 and 8, and they would represent this.
    For the EYFS I was thinking about reading a yoga book which will engage the children, and we could upgrade words from big to massive.

Any advise on this would be amazing or any ideas on activities. TIA

2. lewatts79

lewatts79 New commenter

Hiya, having interviewed in the past I might be wary of using videos but only as it stops you from showing off how you would teach it yourself. Could it not work just with the game. For the LA I would think about using manipulatives like a Numicon as that’s a bit more practical - pick a number card and make it, how many tens, how many ones? I like the egg box idea but will this only generate 6 questions? Have you got an extension for if they’ve got it? Just some ideas!

3. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Have a look at the Nrich website from Cambridge university. It has activites that are low threshold, high ceiling which will help to create a more 'natural differention' which will not cap the learning of the pupils.

Always, always begin with the learning objective. What do you want the children to learn?

Have a look at the reading statements for the 40-60 months and early learning goals, choose one and ask yourself what do you want the to learn and then choose your book.

Do you actually mean a yoga exercise book? Be careful about young children doing yoga exercises if you have not been trained as a yoga teacher. Sorry, if I have mistaken the title for some reading scheme.

Have a look at 'active storytelling' to give you some ideas.

Good luck! I hope you are successful.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.