1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview - Maths 30min lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by claire_cav, May 6, 2012.

1. Hello,
    I have just been offered an interview at a local Infant School. As part of the interview process, I have been asked to teach a 30min maths session to a year 2 class. Additionally, it needs to link to their current topic, the Titanic.
    I have had a look around for ideas that would be interactive and involve children working together. Here is what I have so far:

It’s departure time on the Titanic and the passengers are finding their cabins.
    On the lower deck there is 9 children to board.
    Each cabin holds 4 people.
    Each cabin must have one adult in it to look after the children.
    How many cabins will be needed for the 9 children.
    I was thinking of providing the children with resources, such ascard cabins and children for them to work with.
    What I wondering is how could I differentiate this for different ability groups within the class. Plus what should I inlcude in my input - the teaching of problem solving is always something I haven't had much experience of so far in my training, especially not to this age group.

Do you think this lesson could go successfully?

Thanks Claire

2. Hello,
    I have just been offered an interview at a local Infant School. As part of the interview process, I have been asked to teach a 30min maths session to a year 2 class. Additionally, it needs to link to their current topic, the Titanic.
    I have had a look around for ideas that would be interactive and involve children working together. Here is what I have so far:

It’s departure time on the Titanic and the passengers are finding their cabins.
    On the lower deck there is 9 children to board.
    Each cabin holds 4 people.
    Each cabin must have one adult in it to look after the children.
    How many cabins will be needed for the 9 children.
    I was thinking of providing the children with resources, such ascard cabins and children for them to work with.
    What I wondering is how could I differentiate this for different ability groups within the class. Plus what should I inlcude in my input - the teaching of problem solving is always something I haven't had much experience of so far in my training, especially not to this age group.

Do you think this lesson could go successfully?

Thanks Claire

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

1. Why the Titanic? In reality, this ship saw the loss of around 1500 lives, including many children. Why would you want to do something so tasteless? If you want a ship, make up a name.
    2. You really shouldn't post up your lesson ideas on here. See Theo's many posts on the topic for the reasons why not.
    3. As for differentiation, that's where you show your skill as a teacher.

4. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Here are two threads that may help you:
    * * * * * Teaching a lesson at interview * * * * *
    1 Hour Maths Lesson for Interview
    Well done for getting that interview - we look forward to you following our tradition of starting a brand-new thread called Dear Theo - I got that job!
    Best of luck!