1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT interview lesson

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by munky26, Mar 2, 2011.

1. HI, I have an interview and I have been advised that I will be teaching a year 4 class of 30 children with 15 EAL and 6 SEN children. I need to have aspects of writing on the board and relate it to year 4 literacy strands.
    I was thinking of doing a lesson based on year 4 unit 2, stories set in imaginary worlds based on an abstract of the lion the witch and the wardrobe. As this is a one off one hour lesson, does anyone have any advice on how to make the learning objectives manageable? should I get the children to write a piece of writing based on their own fantasy in the wardrobe? I am very unsure of how to organise the lesson - am currently thinking of using freeze framing and partner talk to discuss children's thoughts and maybe go on to do a group concept map on which they can base their writing?
    any ideas?

2. HI, I have an interview and I have been advised that I will be teaching a year 4 class of 30 children with 15 EAL and 6 SEN children. I need to have aspects of writing on the board and relate it to year 4 literacy strands.
    I was thinking of doing a lesson based on year 4 unit 2, stories set in imaginary worlds based on an abstract of the lion the witch and the wardrobe. As this is a one off one hour lesson, does anyone have any advice on how to make the learning objectives manageable? should I get the children to write a piece of writing based on their own fantasy in the wardrobe? I am very unsure of how to organise the lesson - am currently thinking of using freeze framing and partner talk to discuss children's thoughts and maybe go on to do a group concept map on which they can base their writing?
    any ideas?

3. What is your learning objective?

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Interview lessons are not the time to try something untried you are unsure about. Stick with activities and approaches that you know will work. Don't forget to structure the lesson and include interactive work. In addition on your lesson plan show how it can be extended and developed through homework/follow on activities

5. I beg to differ. I did my interview lesson in a subject I had never taught before, with something I had never taught before. I got the job! It all went pearshaped after that tho! Haha!

6. Hi, don't have any learning objectives - only to display handwriting on the board. I am now thinking of undertaking a lesson using instructional texts, by getting the children to make a book, using poor instructions, then by attempting to make the book - rewrite the instructions more clearly?

7. Part of the process is for you to decide on what your learning objective is going to be.

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I agree completely.

Decide on the learning objective.

THEN work out the activities, have a few back up ones as well. EAL can mean anything from 'unable to utter a word of English' to 'you wouldn't even notice'. SEN can mean anything from 'unable to write' to 'just below average'.

THEN work out how you will assess if the children learned anything.

THEN relax and enjoy being well prepared.

If you turn up and say 'But you didn't give me a learning objective' you won't get the job!