1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview Lesson- Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by shin-nead, Apr 30, 2019.

1. shin-nead

shin-nead New commenter

Hi,

I'm just been invited to an interview on Friday. I'll be observed on a 30 minute activity of my choice with 22 Year 2 children. I have never taught Year 2 in my life and have only taught Year 1 for a small number of weeks. To say I am terrified is an understatement!

I'm thinking along the lines of Maths as I think its more cut and dry and I know I want to get the kids working together and possibly moving around a little bit.

Any Ideas would be greatly appreciated!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

As you won't know the children and their abilities, and especially as you haven't taught Year 2 before, I would advise you to plan your lesson like this:
    1) Choose a curriculum objective to base your activity on, and think of an activity to match it
    2) Plan two alternative activities - one that's slightly easier than the original idea, and one that's more challenging
    3) Think of a quick 'starter' activity that you can use to ascertain prior knowledge about the curriculum objective; once you meet the children, you'll use the 'starter' to quickly figure out whether your original idea is a suitable level or not

Although thinking of three ideas is quite a lot of preparation, you'll go into your interview feeling confident that, whatever happens, you have a plan. If the starter activity shows you that the children have no idea what you're talking about (ie. you pitched the lesson too high), you won't have to panic - you can just use your slightly easier idea. On the other hand, if the starter activity shows you that the children clearly know how to do this already, you can pull out the more challenging activity. Knowing you won't have to think on your feet should help you approach the interview more calmly and come across more confidently.

Good luck!

freckle9, Stiltskin and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  3. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

4. sulkydame

sulkydame New commenter

What's really important too is afterwards, when you are invariably asked about your lesson in your interview, make sure you show you are reflective. Don't pretend everything was amazing, interviewers are looking for teachers who are able to reflect on what they would do better and what tomorrow's lesson would look like too. Being able to talk about a good learning journey and progressing skills to a good outcome is important too. Good luck.

Lara mfl 05 and (deleted member) like this.