1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT interview help!

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by ES_2704, Jun 16, 2017.

1. ES_2704

ES_2704 New commenter

Hi all,

I'm almost at the end of my training and have just been invited for an interview. It's for reception/YR1 mixed in a small school and the interview is with the current mixed class. I've had reception/YR1 experience for one of my teaching practice placements but I'm not sure what to do in 20 minutes! Any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated!

2. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

What are your strengths in teaching? There are lots of things you could do in 20 minutes, but as it's not a lot of time, it makes sense to play to your strengths so that you are as confident as can be in an interview situation! I would do storytelling, but you could also go for phonics, maths, science, PSED, PE, music, drama, etc etc.

3. ES_2704

ES_2704 New commenter

Thanks for getting back to me. 20 minutes is not long at all!

I was thinking maths. Maybe read 'One is a snail, ten is a crab' and differentiate short group activities on the carpet depending on ability.

4. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Interview are not the best places to try out something you are not familiar with you would be best advised to focus on a lesson you have already successfully taught and tailor that to the group.
    Don't forget the basics of teaching good voice clear instructions and learn and use the childrens' names

5. ES_2704

ES_2704 New commenter

Thanks for the advice!