1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview Frustration

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by sophiebirch18, Mar 29, 2019.

1. sophiebirch18

sophiebirch18 New commenter

I've had 6 interviews for an NQT placement but no success. Despite my best efforts, I keep being told I am not stretching enough (even a poem wasn't hard enough). It's really knocking my confidence as they never say anything positive so I don't know what I am doing right. Also, there is usually someone who is on placement there so I feel I have no chance. I feel like it's affecting my placement and my course because I feel like I am wasting so much time because I feel like they know who they are going to choose before I enter the door.

2. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

They wouldn't bother interviewing you and going through the hassle of setting up a lesson if they didn't think you were in with a chance. All schools have better ways to spend their time.
    So that's a positive.
    Selection is a mixture of hard facts and judgement. For some reason or reasons they chose someone else. The feedback is usually worth less than the paper it's printed on. Don't be discouraged, keep applying..

agathamorse likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The demand for NQTs depends upon the area of the country and your subject where there are a surplus then schools become ultra choosy. It is still very early days in this year's recruitment cycle.

agathamorse likes this.
  4. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Current placement students are not a shoe in for the job automatically.

Being an internal candidate can be a blessing and a curse. Sometimes I think it's harder internally as you're in the environment, there's office politics and all sorts to contend with that an external doesn't.

Feedback often can be vague and generic (or plain unhelpful) but if you're getting repeatedly told that you're not stretching the top enough then maybe it's worth picking yourself up, stop feeling like you lost to a done deal and start reflecting. If multiple schools are saying the same thing then that might be telling you something to develop.

Good luck.