1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Interview Advice, please ? problem solving observation and questions on assessment!

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Herb82, Jun 3, 2012.

1. I have been offered an interview at my final placement school and if I
    am honest feel sick with nerves about it!
    I have only had one previous interview and despite not getting the job,
    I did get good feedback. However, I feel
    this time that I have so much more to prove as I know some of the teachers at
    the school have fought my corner to get me the interview. </font>

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman">

</font>I need to do a 30 minute lesson to a large (39) year 5 class on problem
    solving and I would like it to be as practical and assessable to all the
    abilities as possible. Any ideas?</font>

</font>Also, I have followed the assessment processes that I saw used in the
    school but seem to struggle when it comes to answering a question about
    assessment! What kind of things is it appropriate
    to say? Should I be talking about types
    of assessment in general or what I have used/done? </font>

</font>Finally, I tend to be very honest about the fact that I still feel I have
    a lot to learn about teaching in general and do feel that I need to make improvements
    in my practice, I don&rsquo;t want to come across as being someone I am not but I
    also don&rsquo;t want to shoot myself in the foot, is it appropriate to &lsquo;admit&rsquo; this?</font>

</font>

2. I have been offered an interview at my final placement school and if I
    am honest feel sick with nerves about it!
    I have only had one previous interview and despite not getting the job,
    I did get good feedback. However, I feel
    this time that I have so much more to prove as I know some of the teachers at
    the school have fought my corner to get me the interview. </font>

</font>I need to do a 30 minute lesson to a large (39) year 5 class on problem
    solving and I would like it to be as practical and assessable to all the
    abilities as possible. Any ideas?</font>

</font>Also, I have followed the assessment processes that I saw used in the
    school but seem to struggle when it comes to answering a question about
    assessment! What kind of things is it appropriate
    to say? Should I be talking about types
    of assessment in general or what I have used/done? </font>

</font>Finally, I tend to be very honest about the fact that I still feel I have
    a lot to learn about teaching in general and do feel that I need to make improvements
    in my practice, I don&rsquo;t want to come across as being someone I am not but I
    also don&rsquo;t want to shoot myself in the foot, is it appropriate to &lsquo;admit&rsquo; this?</font>

</font>

3. I'm not sure about any ideas for the lesson, but I recently got a job teaching Year 5 in September and I am also an NQT. In my interivew, I was asked what my weaknesses were and I said a lack of teaching experience, although I make up for it with enthusiasm, passion and a willingness to learn. This was commended afterwards. Also, with regards to your assessment questions, if you know what the school is hot on (AfL for example), then use that to your advantage. At my interview, again I talked about annotating plans for each group, getting the TA to give me feedback on the group they have worked with, perhaps by putting it on a sticky label and then putting that on the plan. I also talked about using school pupil tracker to assess where children are and look at different groups of children, free school meals, underperforming, underachieving etc and target those, intervention groups identified and also marking, I love self and peer assessment so said how I would use that in the classroom. Hope this helps and Good Luck!!

4. It is so
    hard isn&rsquo;t it, I have had positive reports from all my schools and I do not
    want to undersell myself, but at the same time I see my NQT year as just the
    start of my development into a teacher and feel it is just as important to be
    honest about the areas I need developing in.
    I really appreciate your response and wish you the best of luck in your
    NQT year.</font>