1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT Induction

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by dafnimakaltsi, Mar 4, 2016.

  1. dafnimakaltsi

    dafnimakaltsi New commenter

    I would like to ask some questions about the induction year for NQTs.
    I got my degree in primary education in 2011 in a European country and I got a QTS number from the British Department of Education in August 2013. I have recently moved to UK and at the moment I am doing a full-time master about ESL learners. I don't have any experience on the British Curriculum and I haven't taught in UK. I am thinking of applying for a job in a British primary school for the fore coming school year but I don't know what steps should I take. I have seen that I have to do an induction year and I have some questions:
    1. Should I look for jobs for NQTs or I can apply for every job?
    2. Do I have to pass Literacy Skills Test and Numeracy Skills Test? Should I do that before applying for a job or after?
    3. I have worked as a teacher for a year in my country, but I cannot use my employer as a referee because my employer was actually the Ministry of Education and the person, who signed my contract didn't even see me. Can I use one of the tutors from the master course?
    4. Would it be a problem that I don't have work experience in UK, in order to find a job here?
    5. Where do I start to from???

    Thank you!
  2. TheoGriff

    TheoGriff Star commenter


    Hullo and welcome to our forum!

    No, you don't.

    If I understand correctly, you have had your EU qualification converted into QTS. In which case there is no need to do induction, if you were fully qualified in your own country. However, just having QTS does not guarantee you a job in a school here, of course.

    Let's look at your questions now.

    Q1 N/A

    Q2 N/A

    Q3 You are normally required to give your employer in a post involving working with children or young people. However, just as in UK they don't mean, as employer, the Head of Children's Services in the Town Hall, they don't mean the Ministry of Education, they mean the Headteacher. So that is who you should give as one of your referees. The second one could indeed be your mentor. However, giving a referee who may not respond in English could be a tad tricky!

    Q4 Yes, a very big problem. Most posts require you to be familiar with the National Curriculum.

    Teachers from abroad looking for jobs in England

    Q5 I suggest that you consult the Careers Service in the university where you are doing your MA.

    Best wishes


Share This Page