1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Induction Year

Discussion in 'Primary' started by KatieSusanne, Feb 28, 2012.

1. Hello
    I was wondering if someone could help me please. I currently work in an independent school in Wigan and havent been able to start my NQT induction year. I am looking at starting it in September this year at the same school but I have been told that there might not have anyone within the school that is qualified to mentor me. Does anybody know of an outside agency of support that I could request to be my mentor? If so do you have any idea of the cost?
    Thank You
    Katie

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

There is no qualification for mentoring NQTs. The school need to register you with the LA and sign a form to the effect that they can and will provide what you need. A good and decent person who is happy to support you is all that is needed in a mentor. LAs do often run training for NQT mentors, but mentors can attend after they start mentoring.

I suggest a member of senior staff in your school contacts the LA (it matters not that you are an indie school) and has a chat about what the school need to provide and what the LA can do. Almost certainly it won't be anything like as tricky as the school think.

3. Thank you very much I will have a chat with the school.