1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Induction year Extension - change school?

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by Purpleidris, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Purpleidris

Purpleidris New commenter

Hi everyone, I truly need some good advice! After failing my NQT induction year, I have been granted an extension but am convinced that I am in the wrong school and will fail altogether if I dont move. Does anyone know if its possible to move schools during an extension period? Help!

2. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It would be incredibly difficult to find a school to take you on to complete an Induction extension.
    It would also be very difficult for you to get settled in a new school and meet all the standards in the short (?) extension period.
    A new school would be taking a risk and would need to replace you fairly soon if you did not meet the standards at the final hurdle.

Did you seek Union support before the end of your 3rd Induction term? They would almost certainly have suggested leaving before completing the 2nd or 3rd term. You'd then have had 2 or 1 full terms to settle elsewhere.

You should almost certainly stay where you are. However, the school are supposed to put in support measures to help struggling NQTs meet the Standards. Are they doing that?
    No NQT should be given groups of particularly challenging pupils either. Those should be taught by more experienced staff. It is something that is more applicable in Secondary schools and large Primaries that have several classes per year group.

Purpleidris likes this.
  3. Purpleidris

Purpleidris New commenter

I was given the most challenging class in the school for my first 2 terms and my obs were always aimed at behaviour management. However I passed those terms and it was only in the final half term that an action plan was put in place. Two weeks before Christmas there was discussion of asking for an extension to give me more time. Now its constant observations and snapshots. The school didnt support me particularly in the first two terms and now its overkill but its not constructive. I have approached my union but need to chase the caseworker to get in touch. I have been a bit naive and trusting at times I realise.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

You really need to speak to the named person at the LA, and ask them what your options are. I assume that you have spoken to them already, and they are aware that your school does not appear to have followed NQT statutory guidelines (i.e. springing it on you half way through the final term that you weren't making progress)?

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Good advice. It's very late in the day to be telling an NQT half-way through the final term that they are no longer on target to meeting the standards.

6. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

The LA really should not have accepted that situation - they have the power to overrule a school's NQT judgement. But on the other hand you just cannot trust some schools to have actually involved the LA, so I would advise the OP to contact them directly and see what's what.

em_beadle likes this.
  7. simonCOAL

simonCOAL Occasional commenter

DfE statutory guidance says that ‘there should be no surprises’. You should not have been given a recognised badly behaved class. I think this is also in the guidance.

Gather all evidence of meetings and reports/ feeedback with clear dates. You can go to appeal if you think you have not been properly supported but you need concrete proof. For example, if you have evidence that support was poor for two terms then any appeal panel will support you. I know this because I served on it a while back.

I wish more training providers provided this information before teachers started induction.

8. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

The trouble for the OP is thatthe first two Induction terms were 'passed', with a verdict that said the OP was on target for meeting the standards by the end of the Induction period. The school would simply say that no extra support was needed in those two terms.