1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT/Induction year completion

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by fimbozac, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Hi,
    I completed my primary PGCE back in 2007 and managed one term of my induction year during a temporary y3 post.
    I am now working in a unit teaching primary children that have been excluded from school. I have all the responsibilities of a 'normal' teacher and would be able to gain my standards no problem in this role.
    We are a charity based organisation and have links with local schools where the pupils come to us from. We are not within a local authority however.
    The question is, would this setting be ok for me to complete my induction year? I have looked on the TDA website and they stipulate that it cannot be carried out in a PRU but we aren't technically a PRU, although very similar.
    My line manager said he would be supportive if I was allowed to proceed but I don't have a clue what to do next...
    Any help from teachers who have experienced this or similar would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance

2. If this is a private facility it may not qualify for induction. The first thing to establish is if the unit is classed as a school by the DfE - if it is then there is a chance. In the end it will be up to the Local Authority to decide if induction can be done. If it can then it would be on the same basis as a private school which means that the unit would most likely have to pay the LA for the induction process to be run and validated.
    Contact the LA NQT adviser - speak to them about what ypu do and tell them about the unit - they will tell you if it is suitable for induction or not.
    James

3. Thanks James,
    This is very helpful and has pointed me in the right direction.
    Much appreciated
    Emma