1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nqt induction plan

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by jamestrumpet, Sep 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. jamestrumpet

jamestrumpet New commenter

Hello,

I have been given a new role for the coming year as an NQT mentor. I have downloaded a guide from the D of E, but I am unsure about the personalised induction programme. I have so many ideas on what to put on the programme but don't know whether some of the ideas would not be appropriate to their development. For example 'planning a trip' (in reality not many NQT's will need to plan a trip.

Does anyone have an example of an outstanding NQT plan I could be inspired by?

Also, when do you meet with the NQT's to deliver the induction? I have looked over all the NQT timetables, but their is no free period were they are all free at the same time. Is it ok to run the sessions after school?

Many thanks for your help.

James

2. pepper5

pepper5 Star commenter

Hi James

If you go over to the trainee teacher thread there are NQT mentors who post on that thread and you could PM them directly or post this on that thread.

Also, the New Teachers thread is where some mentors post.

3. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

If they're not all free at the same time, they will have to meet after school or at a lunchtime (unless SLT are willing to provide cover for some of them). But it surely wouldn't need to be every week or particularly onerous. The alternative is you having X number of separate meetings, which doesn't seem like a good use of your time at the start of the year.

As for induction programmes, there are some things all will need to cover, and presumably some specific to all new staff at your school. Do they also each have a subject mentor? If not, I'd ask heads of each dept to support with things specific to their subject, e.g. planning a trip is a very regular thing in subjects such as PE with fixtures at other schools, but less frequent in some subjects (though still useful to have experience of). Maybe you could give them a list of options to choose from.

I've only been an nqt mentor in my own subject, and was only responsible for the day-to-day and subject related matters (which was a lot of it really). There was a member of SLT who met with trainees and NQTs all together a few times at the start of the year, then termly individually to check folders and observations, etc.

But do post in the other forums as suggested above to get more insights.

pepper5 likes this.
  4. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

Keep meetings short and make them optional. The one thing they will be short of is time to do all the things handed down from above, on top of which they have a damned folder to create. Ask them what they need, but not in week one when they won't have a clue. A chance to chat among themselves is important but should not be a formal arrangement.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. exploration

exploration New commenter

Will you be an NQT mentor to one NQT or overseeing all of them? I've just finished my NQT year and our Professional Tutor was our 'overseer' and then we each had individual NQT mentors (not subject specific). We had weekly one-hour(ish) after school sessions where we covered different things e.g. how to organise a trip, 'guest' speakers like SLT who would talk careers, the ALN guy who would talk about differentiation etc. Then we had individual fortnightly meetings with our mentors. Tbh these fell apart a little with people's other commitments but I generally had one once a month. Here we'd fill in a meeting form to discuss how I'd used my extra time, check my folder, check I'd been observed enough (urgh) and my generally well-being. These were very informal - I was fine and these were box-ticking meetings and most of the stuff we made up together just to fill the form. To my horror, when I finished my file and had my meeting with the Head, it wasn't looked at, though it had been checked for its progress about 3 months prior. Guess I was liked even after handing in my resignation, or maybe because of haha.

6. KSB18051991

KSB18051991 New commenter

Hi James,

I have applied for the same role that you received! Did you get a good programme going and do you now have an example of a plan that I could have a look at? Thanks.