1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Induction period

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Rosie P, May 9, 2011.

1. Am I the only one ticked off? How come colleagues who are not qualified can keep teaching when I am qualified (1 term induction complete, should be 2 but one school failed to inform authorities that I was an NQT) and have to shortly stop supply teaching becaused my time limit has run out. Unqualifieds can keep teaching when a qualified has to stop until a contract has been secured. Can this be right?

2. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

You can work on unqualified rate (such as Cover Supervisor) although you shouldn't have to.
    [​IMG]

3. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

Have you applied for a supply extension to run from when your 16 supply allowance runs out?
    You apply to every LA where you might get work and each can decide on a different length of extension, from zero to 12 months.
    The situation is very unfair and I was complaining about it to the dept of Education and my MP back in 2001 when my allowance expired and no extensions were available.
    My MP thought I'd misunderstood the situation as he couldn't believe that a qualified teacher was barred from taking work of under a term's length whilst an unqualified person could be employed instead. He double-checked with the Dept of Education and found out that I was right!
    At the time, the position of Cover Supervisor didn't exist but there was the position of Unqualified Teacher/ Instructor and those candidates were paid on the official Unqualified Teachers' payscale.
    I spoke to the Dept of Education and suggested that I could stay in employment (until I found an Induction term) by being paid on the Unqualified payscale instead (being paid near the top of the payscale would not be much less than my then position on the qualified scale), I was very STERNLY warned that getting a teaching job as Unqualified, when I was Qualified, would not be an option. If I deleted my QTS from an application form I would, apparently, be liable to consequences for 'lying on an application form'!
    You could now work as a Cover Supervisor and be paid on that separate pay scale BUT it is written in legislation that you can't be employed as a CS and be required to undertake the role of a teacher. If the school want you to teach or to mark and plan, they have to pay you as a teacher and they can only do that if you have a supply extension (for short-term work) or it's for at least a term's length and can be part of Induction.
    Induction terms can start at any point in a school term and must last (p/t or f/t) until at elast the same point in the next school term. It doesn't have to be a contracted post. It can be daily paid but it must be intended to last for a term's length.
    I did 2 Induction terms (at 2 schools) as a daily paid agency worker.
    Write to your MP and complain to the GTC and the department of Education.

4. Thanks for all the info some I knew but some I did not. Why put yourself through all the stress of those late nights and hard slog while training if you are to end up being paid as a cover supervisor. My friends who did not bother to train certainly won this time. Thanks for letting me know I am not alone.

5. You are not alone and many have fallen fould of this rule. Why not raise your case with your local MP and air your grievences and ask them to raise this with the secretary of state and ask for a change in the situation.
    James