1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT induction at independent schools?

Discussion in 'Independent' started by goosey200, Oct 2, 2017.

1. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Hello,

I have been overseas teaching at international schools for a few years and now I'm back in England looking for a job (primary). I managed to complete 2/3 of my NQT induction before I went overseas, on a maternity contract. Most of my experience is overseas in fact.

I've managed to secure two interviews this week, both at independent schools. In my application, I didn't explicitly mention that I hadn't completed my induction. As previous Heads have done, I assumed they might have worked it out by seeing the dates of my first job.

I've just had a panic that IF they offer me the job but don't know I haven't finished my induction, they might retract the offer.

Is it best that I bring it up in the interview - and ask if I can finish it off with them, it's only a term- or best not to mention it? I'm not sure of the details with NQT requirements for independent schools.

I don't want to get in the situation where I accept the first job and then cancel the second interview, but then have the first job offer taken away!!

Thanks in advance :)

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It's not a requirement for teachers in independent schools to have completed NQT induction, so don't worry, you haven't breached any terms and conditions by not declaring it on the application.

Bring it up at interview - either when asked if you have any questions, or at any other appropriate moment.

Although you don't need to have completed induction, independents can and do offer induction. It will depend on the individual school whether it's through the LA or some other body. You should be able to transfer your completed terms, as it were (I switched LAs during my NQT year, so similar to that).

3. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Thank you blueskydreaming, that's certainly reassuring :)

blueskydreaming likes this.
  4. Alldone

Alldone Established commenter

I never did an NQT year/induction and spent a 28 year career in the independent sector.

5. install

install Star commenter

State schools are a bit tougher in this respect - they generally insist on the NQT year being completed. It may only be a problem for you though if you switch to the state sector.You might want to ask about any 'probation period' .

By all means - still mention it if you feel it is appropriate. Bear in mind that should you want to complete it, there may be a cut off date in which your current nqt work can count. But that may not worry you too much if you intend to stay in the one sector :cool:

6. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

These days most independents also want fully qualified teachers, so completing your induction would be a very good idea. Especially if you want to move schools, within the independent sector or outside of it, in the future. It is imperative that you do mention it at some stage, don't rely on heads to notice anything, as you need to know you are being appointed honestly and openly.

As @blueskydreaming says, bring it up when asked if you have any questions, or if they ask you about it. Just be positive and say something like 'I have one term remaining, but are sure they will see from my references there will be no problem passing the term successfully and would love to be able to do so at their school. Will this be possible?'

It almost certainly won't make a jot of difference, as all the 'extras' NQTs get in their induction year happen as a matter of course in many independents. All you'll need is a vaguely literate and on the ball mentor who can fill in the paperwork. With all your experience you are unlikely to need much more mentoring than any other new teacher.

7. goosey200

goosey200 New commenter

Fab, thank you all. Let's just hope I get an offer!