1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Induction 16 months on supply

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by milkyway1, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Hi i was woundering if anyone can give some info on this. What to do when i come upto 16 months. How to extend i. Basically what do i do if i get to 16 months and im still on supply and not in a full time job?

2. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

The induction requirements will change this year and the intention is to go over to a flat 4 years from gaining QTS this is likely to impact this year. There are no further details about any exclusions or arrangements for part completed induction.

3. Hi Milkyway1, I am in a similar position and in my area you need to call you LEA NQT advisor and they will e-mail a form to complete. I am not sure if this is the same for all areas but a quick chat with your LEA NQT advisor should answer your questions. But be careful because in my LEA the 12month extension starts from the date your extension is granted and not from the date you re-start supply or want it to start so my LEA advised me to only apply for it once I was sure that I was unable to get an inductable role for the summer term otherwise I would waste part of the extension. Once the 12 month extension has passed you can still continue on supply but only as an unqualified teacher (much less money) until you find an induction post. My LEA advisor was unsure how this would change in September but they are anticipating change.
    Hope this is helpful

4. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

yOU CAN'T BE PAID AS AN UNQUALIFIED TEACHER WHEN YOU ARE QUALIFIED.
    You would have to be employed as a Cover Supervisor, where the regulations state that no teaching takes place.
    The Department of Education warned me of possible legal action in 2001, when my supply limit had expired and Induction was incomplete, when I suggested that I should take teaching work on unqualified rates rather than be unemployed. The CS role didn't exist then.

5. Thank you Jubilee for your post. It was my LEA Advisor that told me that I could only be employed as a Unqualified Teacher once the supply extension was up unless it was for an induction post. I did bombard her with lots of questions so maybe this was an oversight on her part and maybe she mean't Cover Supervisor. I will give them another call to try to get some clarification just in case there has been any changes since 2001. But on reflection I fear you are right because you still have QTS, induction or no induction. I am struggling (apart from the obvious teaching element) to understand the differences between an Unqualified Teacher and Cover Supervisor in terms of pay, frequency of supply work etc.. I will post my LEA Advisor's response.

6. So basically we will be qualified teachers not allowed to teach?! Where is the sense in that?!!!