1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in Year 6!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Sillow, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I'm in my third year, but going into Year 6 so feel like an NQT all over again!
    My first day will be something along the lines of assembly, one lesson on expectations and routines then sorting out trays/books/folders. The second lesson will be some mental maths/spellings/writing so I can see how much they've forgotten over the holidays. The afternoon will be individual reading, while the class get on with creating a display based on our class name.
    After that, the days will be as normal - Numeracy/English in the morning, then foundation subjects in the afternoon. Start as you mean to go on! Showing the children you mean business from the beginning will make it easier for you in the long run. I made the mistake of not doing that in my first year and struggled, so this year I am being as strict as possible for the first month or so, then I can relax when I've shown them what the expectations are.
    Good luck! I'm looking forward to it a lot.

2. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

As for planning, I've done MTPs for the foundation subjects I teach, so I can start those in the first week. Numeracy is just starting at the beginning for Year 6 of the old framework which we use. Literacy for the first week or two will be linked to our class name and our first topic, recapping different text types and creating some display work.
    If you need any help, do get in touch. [​IMG]