1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in Year 4 - ideas for 'meet the teacher' day?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by miaoww, Jun 15, 2009.

1. miaoww

miaoww New commenter

Hi, as the title says I'm going to be teaching Year 4 in my NQT year which I am really looking forward to, althought I have not taught in year 4 before.
    Have got a meet the new teacher day soon, just wondered what suggestions people have for activities to do on this day? I want to make a good first impression on the class but without appearing a pushover!

Thanks x

2. I have a 'Knowing me, knowing you' activity which I use with my new classes.
    Let me know if it might be of use.

3. Start by introducing yourself about telling them about the topics they will be learning about.
    Then explain the rules for the day and say that you will create rules together as a class on the first day. Set out expectations.
    Circle time activity.
    Swap places if your favourite subject is PE, swap places if you like reading, like football, support Man U, eat chocolate etc.
    Then go around the circle.
    I am _____ and I am good at _____. I have 2 brothers.

Ask the children to write a letter to you introducing themselves and telling you all about them. Model this first telling them a tiny bit about you (not much!).

Find someone game i.e. find someone who has a sister. Find someone who been on a plane etc. Feedback. Shows an interest in them.

Maybe you could then get them to make something for the first display e.g. portraits of themselves or a kite with information about themselves on.