1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in special measures School

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by VelvetChalk, May 3, 2012.

1. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I am very interested in a school I have supplied in who are an 'outstanding' school, they have a post for the next academic year which I would love. The only problem is that the school have recently become a federation with a special measures school next door and the post means I could work in either school. I have visited both schools and love the staff and children in both, as well as the head. The special measures school have been allowed to appoint one NQT by the LA if they wish and the head isnt saying which school the post will be as he hasnt decided.

My concern, as an NQT myself is the extra pressure of working in a special measures school a good idea and what can I expect? Any NQTs with experience of this?

2. VelvetChalk

VelvetChalk New commenter

I am very interested in a school I have supplied in who are an 'outstanding' school, they have a post for the next academic year which I would love. The only problem is that the school have recently become a federation with a special measures school next door and the post means I could work in either school. I have visited both schools and love the staff and children in both, as well as the head. The special measures school have been allowed to appoint one NQT by the LA if they wish and the head isnt saying which school the post will be as he hasnt decided.

My concern, as an NQT myself is the extra pressure of working in a special measures school a good idea and what can I expect? Any NQTs with experience of this?

3. I'm an NQT in a special measures school.
    The workload and pressure at my school is intense. We're subject to weekly suprise observations and constantly told what we need to improve on.
    However, since this is my first school, I don't know any different. For all I'm aware, every school in the country could be like that. So it's not too bad because I haven't got used to life in a school that's not in special measures.
    The plus point of all this pressure- as I have to keep reminding myself- is that I am becoming a much better teacher. It's giving me a bit of a complex and making me an absolute perfectionist. I'm sure that when I eventually go to another school, everyone will think I'm nuts because I'm so paranoid about not being good enough.
    The way I worded that doesn't make it sound like a positive at all! It is, though. It's definitely a massive learning curve and it is hard work but it's all making me improve.
    I like my school, I enjoy working there. Staff relations are, mostly, excellent and we have a really close-knit staff team, even though we're a very large school.
    Sorry for the rather rambling post, I am extremely tired after a long day! I hope it makes some sense to you.

4. This is somewhat complex. Schools that are in special measures cannot employ a NQT unless OFSTED have agreed that the NQT can be employed and will be fully supported. So, if you are in a school that is in such a federation, then you need to be reassured that, either, you will NOT be deployed to a school that is in speciasl measures (unless OFSTED agree that a NQT can be emnployed/work there) or, if you are deployed that the LA is happy for this and you will be FULLY supported.
    The Sage