1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in school training

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by LittleBrownBear, Jan 2, 2011.

1. LittleBrownBear

LittleBrownBear New commenter

Dear all NQT's
    Help!!! I have been asked to take over the NQT training programme for my school for a few reasons & I want to put together a formal programme (currently we don't have one) so I was wondering what training you are receiving (topics) etc as well as anything you feel would be helpful.
    Or if there are any mentors out there that would be willing to share ideas, I would be grateful!
    It is a while since I was an NQT so looking for some help!
    Thank you
    LBB

2. Does the LEA not offer this training?
    My LEA offers the training which we sign up to at the start of the year for our NQTs.
    Are you after an induction programme rather than a training programme? If so, think about what the new teachers would need to know when joining your school. Basic navigation of the school, staff members and job roles, process in place for assessment, reports, SEN etc. Is this what you mean?

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Ask your NQTs too many programmes are put together based on assumptions about what is needed. Have you thought about having an open session where NQTs come with their questions and issues? Generally try and emphasise the key aspects of your school development plan and pick up on areas such as planning and classroom management which are generic concerns.