1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in reception, what do I need to do for September?

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by cupcake76, Jul 5, 2012.

1. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

I am looking for advice, I have a job in reception and have been told I can come in and get my class ready for September but haven't got a clue! Shall I put up the start of some displays and then children's work can be added as I go along? I thought of Birthdays, behaviour charts and then my mind has gone blank. Also does anyone have any ideas for developing the reading and book area? I would be grateful for some help and inspiration please x

2. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

I am looking for advice, I have a job in reception and have been told I can come in and get my class ready for September but haven't got a clue! Shall I put up the start of some displays and then children's work can be added as I go along? I thought of Birthdays, behaviour charts and then my mind has gone blank. Also does anyone have any ideas for developing the reading and book area? I would be grateful for some help and inspiration please x

3. L2T

L2T

Certainly display some generic stuff like number lines, alphabet, a holiday display is a good display for September I think as lots of the children will have been somewhere over the Summer hols and it can be a nice chance for them to bring in photos of their hols for the wall! or draw a picture of their holiday.
    For a behaviour chart I would do that with the children and set their own 'class rules', then you can keep referring them to it if need be reminding them how 'we all agreed on these rules' !!!

4. Grolta

Grolta New commenter

Have a look at www.rainbowresources.co.uk .Lots of display resources eg birthdays, number lines, alphabet strips etc - all free! [​IMG]

5. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

Love the resources and thanks for your advice, has certainly gave me a starting point, thanks.

6. Hello cupcake76. Just wanted to stop by and say hi.

I'm also an NQT starting in Reception in September. After the initial elation of getting the job and I'm now thinking 'oh my goodness' what do I need to do to prepare for September????'

Thanks for all the advice everyone. Its all incredably exciting but daunting at the same time [​IMG]

7. scorpio12

scorpio12 New commenter

I know it is tempting to get lots of things prepared - letter sounds displayed, numbers etc. However, some things could be best left until you have the children and then can use their photos to make it more personal. Have a look at www.abcdoes.com gives more info on this on his blog - maybe food for thought. I know everybody has different opinions on these things though. Good luck with your NQT year you'll love it :)

8. We have a display called 'my space' that is just a named A3 frame for each child. They choose what they want to display in it - pictures, writing, photos, small models etc. They change it as often as they want, but we always ask them to have at least one thing in their frame. When they want something new up, they can take the old things home. Conversely, if they want to take a picture home, they have to produce something new first. This gives us a display that is completely the children's work and choice of work. It needs minimal work from us as we just blu-tack the work up as it is, without backing it. It also gives us a snapshot of their interests, and they always have something on the wall if their parents pop in. I've now started to add speech bubbles or post-its with the child's comments about their work too.

The frames are A3 pieces of paper with a coloured border round, and once up on the wall they can last all year. You need a big wall though.

9. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

These are really helpful ideas. I would have liked to do a display for each area of the curriculum, however with the changes to the EYFS would you just go with the prime areas, specific, both or link board to the area of continuous provision the board is in. It's so hard, think I need to take pics next time I'm in as I can't remember what is where.

10. This is a fabulous idea, I love it.

11. Similar to the 'My Space' idea we had a 'working wall' which was really useful for displaying both self-initiated and adult led work. I also had a wall with 'talking tins' with questions that children could answer, this worked really well in the reading area and developed enquiry and S&L. We then could use the childrens responses as a starting point for carpet sessions.

12. cupcake76

cupcake76 New commenter

I love all these ideas, do you know of any other sites which can give inspiration for displays?

13. LauraJeanD

LauraJeanD New commenter

Your children are the inspiration for your displays. "We display what the children produce. We DO NOT give children activities to produce a display" - ABC. Start the year with a blank canvas and display what the chn produce and show how they lead their learning. It will have maximum impact on the chn.