1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in Nursery

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Tompartington, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Tompartington

Tompartington New commenter

Hi guys,

I have recently been contacted by the school at which I interviewed for a upper KS2 class teacher position. They have told me I will be teaching nursery from September.

Obviously this has come as a massive shock as I was expecting a year 5 or 6 class. I don’t know what to expect and have so many questions.

I have not worked or trained in Early Years. The youngest I have taught is year 2.

Has anyone got experience of the transition from teaching KS2 children to nursery age children?

I don’t know how or if I should challenge the school about this decision. I feel uncomfortable in doing this as I have not yet signed my contract.

If anyone can offer any advice at all it will be greatly appreciated.

2. wildeoscar17

wildeoscar17 New commenter

A good teacher is a good teacher, irrespective of the year group- have faith in yourself! I know it's nerve-wracking especially as an NQT, but the school are confident with their decision to put you in FS1.
    I would suggest reading up on EYFS development matters and other reading materials (language in the early years, Allistair Bryce clegg books and more). Most importantly, read development matters as this will be the most important document in EYFS (or that's what I know from experience, I've never been in a school where this is not used!!!)
    As an NQT, I was interviewed for a KS2 job and got a job in FS2. It was hard work at first and I did struggle to find my feet, but the more I understood the routines/children's learning needs/interests the more I felt confident.

Trust your instinct and good luck with whatever you do :)

Shaohlin likes this.
  3. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Maybe reply to the email (I assume it was an email) and check they are correct. They may well have sent you the wrong email and some other poor sod was expecting nursery and now been told it's year 5! Don't challenge it, but do query it.

Nursery is very, very different to Yr2 upwards. I'm an extremely experienced teacher and yet struggled massively in September when I moved to nursery. There were lots of tears and feelings of cluelessness, it is a totally different job.

However, once you get your head round not being a 'teacher' in the traditional sense, it is sooooooo much more fun and you have much more freedom with teaching and learning. SLT tend not to have any idea about EYFS which is both annoying and useful.

I'd also say there are a number of excellent FB groups that have given me so many ideas and so much reassurance. Definitely much better than many KS2 ones! And there are a few that you'd expect to be excellent and are not. If you go with the nursery post, then come back and ask and I'll let you know which the fab ones are.

Shaohlin likes this.
  4. frustum

frustum Star commenter

I think you should ask some questions about the support and mentoring that will be available to you as an NQT teaching in a phase you have not encountered during training. If the answer is that your mentor will be the highly-experienced reception class teacher, great. Ask whether there are any training courses you can go on, maybe google yourself to see what's available.

I'm sure you can do it, but the school does have some responsibility to support you in your NQT year. If you feel you lack that support, you need to ask (and keep a record of that).