1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT in New Zealand - is this transferable to the UK?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by paddyburrell, Oct 18, 2018.

  1. paddyburrell

    paddyburrell New commenter

    Coming to the UK from NZ to teach - my daughter is British born but lived in NZ and just completed a 4 year Bachelor of Physical Education at Auckland Uni. This degree combines the standard 3 year degree plus 1 year teaching (PGCE).
    She is coming to the UK and wants to teach but won't have QTS as she is really newly qualified.
    What is the process for NQT from overseas? Do they have a mentor period? Can they get jobs? Any advice appreciated.
  2. blueskydreaming

    blueskydreaming Lead commenter

    QTS is awarded to teachers in the UK as part of the primary or secondary PGCE degree (it may be different with UK other courses) - it's not something you get after the NQT year. So, your degree from a UK uni will be 'PGCE Secondary with QTS'. Check whether she has QTS already or not; if not, it's possible to get QTS in the UK via different routes, but it's more complex because you need to have a couple of years' experience before you apply for it, and it'll be hard to get a job without it.

    NQTs in state schools in the UK must serve a 1 year induction. This involves being assigned a mentor, having a reduced timetable, attending a training programme (this varies according to the school, it may be minimal). You need to pass the NQT induction - if you do not, you are not allowed to teach in state schools. Independent schools do not require induction, but many still offer it.

    Your daughter needs this body to assess her qualification and determine whether her PGCE qualifies her to teach in UK schools as: https://www.naric.org.uk/naric/

    If she is considered to be properly qualified she can apply for jobs in schools. However, our school year starts in September, and PE jobs are fiercely competitive, so she will probably struggle to find permanent work. Depending on where she goes in the UK she may find lots of supply work through an agency - this will get her some experience in UK schools, but you cannot complete NQT induction through day-to-day supply, you must be at the school for at least one whole term in order to be registered on an induction programme.

    UK schools always need to do a face-to-face interview, so she won't be able to apply from overseas. She'll have to teach an interview lesson if called to interview. She can find the national curriculum details online - I suggest she familiarises herself with them for KS3 and 4 (11-16).

    This all assumes that she has a UK passport and does not require a visa!
  3. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  4. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Looking for a PE secondary post in some areas of the country can be really difficult to find. The job market is very local and it depends upon where you are going to live. Timing is also an issue. Autumn Term is notoriously short on vacancies as the majority of posts are filled spring and summer terms. Supply work is often the starting point to get into the system and then to secure opportunities from them.

Share This Page