1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in need of help ! Yr 2 and The Seaside Topic

Discussion in 'Primary' started by mpg24, Aug 16, 2012.

1. Hi everyone,
    I am an NQT and am currently trying to figure out my planning for the first half term back. My topic is going to be the seaside and I am trying to work out my literacy planning. Does anyone have any good ideas for texts I can use to cover stories with a familiar setting?
    Any help would be much appreciated as I am starting to worry!
    Thank you :)

2. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

You don't have to start with familiar settings, and actually unless they live by the sea, the sea side might not actually be a familiar setting!

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Katie Morag works if you have to do that literacy. She lives in a house/goes to school/etc, but by the seaside.

I agree with rainbowdrop though...unless you are by the sea it won't be a familiar setting.

4. Hi,
    This year I also did the Seaside topic with year 2 for the first half term. It worked really well, in Literacy we did-
    *Stories with familiar settings, with the main story being the Rainbow Fish.
    *Really Looking poetry- poems about water.
    *Information texts- made powerpoints about sea animals.
    Dont worry, you will be fine!

5. Thank you ... I think because the strategy suggests stories with familiar settings, I feel like I have to do it ! Im just getting confused with where to start, I have no year group partner so am finding it quite difficult. thank you for replying :)

6. rainbowdrop86

rainbowdrop86 New commenter

Im planning on doin dif books sam author with this topic and using the lighthouse keeper stories