1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in Isle of Man

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Moony, Feb 10, 2007.

1. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm a PGCE student and i'm filling in a job application for a school on the Isle of Man. I don't want to count my chickens before their hatched but i'm just curious if anyone knows if i'd still be able to do my NQT year there.

Thanks!

2. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

I'm a PGCE student and i'm filling in a job application for a school on the Isle of Man. I don't want to count my chickens before their hatched but i'm just curious if anyone knows if i'd still be able to do my NQT year there.

Thanks!

3. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

Yes - under the terms of The Education (Induction Arrangements for School Teachers) (Consolidation) (England) Regulations 2001, induction in the Isle of Man will be recognised when you return to England

4. Moony

Moony Lead commenter

Cheers, i don't suppose you know where i could find out if i'd be eligable for my Golden Hello over there?

5. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

You wouldn't be eligible for the English Golden Hello certainly, unless you came back and taught in England for at least one term in the year after completing induction.

Whether they have a comparable scheme in the IoM I don't know, but I doubt it.

6. Hi,

I moved over here (the isle of man) last summer to start my nqt year. I've just found out that the Manx government do have a comparable golden hello incentive. You can apply for it the day you come back in september following your nqt year (effectively after you have worked a year and a day!)

I think the amount awarded is the same (I.e. £2,500 minus tax - which is a lot less over here :))

Hope that helps.

Andrew