1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in EYFS when trained in KS1/KS2

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by petrapan, Jun 1, 2011.

1. I have been invited to two interviews for early years jobs now, one in nursery and one in reception. These interviews have been arranged through the local teaching pool, the schools are aware my training isn't in early years but have still called me to interview (I'm unsure whether the fact I am a mature student and parent myself has influenced their decision to shortlist me).
    What I'd like to know is how realistic it is for someone without training in the EYFS to complete a successful NQT year in the EYFS? How much research would I need to do prior to interview? I have never taught in an EYFS class, although I have voluntary experience working in a nursery class for a year. Should I turn these interviews down? I don't want to go along if it's a waste of energy as they just employ someone with lots of experience teaching this age range.

2. I have been invited to two interviews for early years jobs now, one in nursery and one in reception. These interviews have been arranged through the local teaching pool, the schools are aware my training isn't in early years but have still called me to interview (I'm unsure whether the fact I am a mature student and parent myself has influenced their decision to shortlist me).
    What I'd like to know is how realistic it is for someone without training in the EYFS to complete a successful NQT year in the EYFS? How much research would I need to do prior to interview? I have never taught in an EYFS class, although I have voluntary experience working in a nursery class for a year. Should I turn these interviews down? I don't want to go along if it's a waste of energy as they just employ someone with lots of experience teaching this age range.

3. Hi
    I'm an NQT teaching a nursery class at the moment. I did my PGCE in primary, so ks1 and ks2.
    I really love working in early years now even tho I wouldn't have considered in without an agency putting me forward for the role.

I found myself very much thrown in the deep end, but in a good way. As long as you have good support from other teachers in your year/your mentor then I don't see it being a problem. Whilst ITT is useful, it's only the tip of the iceburg and you will soon realise that it's your NQT year that you really learn what it means to be a teacher. Most schools would rather have a good teacher than one with the 'right' training or experience. The fact that they want an NQT means they are expecting someone with little experience anyway.
    I would recommend reading through the EYFS, focusing on Development Matters, before your inviews.

Best of luck!! Early Years is a very rewarding stage which isn't as scary as it sounds!!