1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in COBIS schools

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by kirby42, Oct 10, 2018.

1. kirby42

kirby42 New commenter

I'm currently doing a PGCE course in English and will hopefully finish next year. Our tutors and lecturers have told us to start thinking about finding work after Christmas.

What are the odds of being able to do my NQT year abroad in a COBIS school? I have a master's degree in history, I'm a fully qualified EAL teacher with a few years of international experience, full qualifications in speech and drama, experience in sports coaching and foreign language skills.

I would hope that this would make me somewhat of an eligible candidate. NQT is offered by some COBIS schools, but do they take many teachers? What would be the best way to find work with them, apart from just checking the vacancies page on their site? Any advice/tips?

Thanks in advance!

2. the hippo

the hippo Lead commenter Community helper

I believe that COBIS has their own website, so perhaps you could start by checking there. COBIS schools also post teaching vacancies on the TES website, I believe.

On this TES forum there have been quite a few posts recently about NQTs doing their "NQT year" in a COBIS school, so perhaps you could have a rummage through this forum and see what you can find. If you are not particularly fussy about which country you would be teaching in, kirby42, then maybe getting a job as an NQT at a COBIS school might not be too hard. Do they take many teachers? Well, how many is "many"? Some posters on this TES forum have suggested that on the whole the COBIS schools tend to have fewer vacancies, as the teaching staff tend to stay longer.

On the other hand, if you really are thinking about teaching in the UK as your long term aim, then what would be the advantage of teaching overseas, whether in a COBIS school or somewhere else overseas? Would the heads of most schools in the UK prefer to give a teaching post to a teacher who has done their "NQT year" in the UK? Or would overseas experience count in your favour? I don't know. The general consensus on this TES forum seems to be that independent schools in the UK often look upon international experience quite favourably, but maybe state schools do not.

As for "the best way to find work with them", I would suggest that the idea of just doing one year overseas might not go down too well with the principals of most international schools. Two years is the standard for most teaching contracts. Recruitment is costly, both in terms of time and money, so most principals are looking for (and hoping for) a longer commitment to their schools.

Lastly, if you really are very determined to make your career in international schools, then I would suggest that perhaps getting some IB and / or MYP experience is probably more important than whether or not you have done your NQT year in a COBIS school.

I hope that this is of some help, kirby42. You could also send me one of those TES Conversation things.

3. VS400

VS400 New commenter

The British school in Riyadh takes NQTS and it is a COBIS school

4. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter