1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in barcelona, 32k gross

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by cherpat87, Mar 19, 2016.

1. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

Just been offered a role stsrting in september, just completing my pgce. I have been offered 32000 euros gross salary, is this good/bad ?

2. dumbbells66

dumbbells66 Lead commenter

What else is included in the package? Because if you have to rent in Barcalona, you will find that salary will not be as attractive as it sounds now

3. musikteech

musikteech Occasional commenter

That's a good offer for an NQT and a good offer for Spain. What are you waiting for!!

4. dumbbells66

Yes it probably is good for Spain, but as the OP states in another thread, he's a physics teacher. Physics is the most sort after subject. He could walk into many other international schools. If you think €32k a year is good, compare that to the €72k you would get at my school, plus free house, bills, transportation, return flights, full medical and dental, and free food at school. Honestly if i was you, i would hold out for the next recruitment season as you will get much, much, much better.

5. musikteech

That's what I meant, it's good for Spain. Try these for high-paying physics teacher jobs in UAE

[This comment/image/section has been removed for breaching our Community Guidelines/Terms and conditions]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  6. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

revans66 which country are you in ? i need to come there.
    Nothing else included in the package, not even flights, was going to negotiate for some sort of relocation package, maybe hotel stay for a few nights. I do have a few other interviews this week, so my consider holding out , however from searches doesnt seem like I will get much more in spain. The role is for physics and maths teacher and includes ks5.

itsqueenbx likes this.
  7. dumbbells66

Sorry we are done recruiting for this year. Normal recruitment for international schools run from around October to March. There will be some jobs left, but probably not he ones you actually want. You want to ask yourself why have they not filled that position yet. I seem to remember you saying the contract was only for one year, is that true? If it is then avoid, avoid, avoid. Any half decent international school would be asking for 2 years as a minimum. Some schools in Spain only offer 10 month contracts. Usually because they are terrible places to work, trust me i have been there.... and my sister, and lots and lots of friends. They also get away with not paying for your summer holidays. Do some more research and you will find mostly a negative opinion on Spanish schools. If you want to start a conversation with me i could go into more details than the rules of this forum will allow.

8. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

I'd jump at it as well, but, unlike revans66, I love Spain... I've found it a great place to work and Barcelona is a beautiful city... Sure, you could work in the Middle East and earn more, but you wouldn't be in Barcelona! 32k is a very good salary for Spain and you could live comfortable on it in Barcelona. If you're getting 32k a year, then it doesn't really matter to you if you're getting it in 10 payments the legal 14, although if the school is doing the 10-month-contract trick it is a bad sign since they may be untrustworthy in other aspects as well. revans is right to advise checking the school out carefully. There are some very good schools in Spain but also some awful ones. I have been lucky enough to work in two of the good ones. Clearly, revans and his/her friends and relations were not so fortunate...

9. gafleecey

gafleecey New commenter

But the thing is, Mike, that a gross salary of 32k is really not 32k once all of the taxes have gone from it. Also, many schools in Spain do not pay the full amount over the year- my own experience was that I was quoted an annual salary, but on arrival I found that it was 'pro-rata' over 10 months (10/12 of the original offer). The actual contract was the sort an orange picker would get, with a one month notice period. ...which is why I gave one month's notice and left.
    Barcelona may well be a great city, but 32k gross cannot be described as a good salary there- rents, food, transport will all eat into it and there will not be much left at all. As others have advised, there are plenty of places out there, not just the Middle East, where teachers earn a good salary with many additional benefits such as flights and housing.

10. dumbbells66

In my opinion, the absolute bear minimum an international school should be providing you with, apart from an initial 2 year contract would be:

1: shipping / relocation allowance
    2: free flights out
    3: pay in full all visa costs
    4: free return flights to home of record every year
    5: free accommodation. or at least an allowance that will pay for decent apartment
    6: private medical insurance
    7: a minimum of $30 000 starting salary.

Western Europe rarely if never does this. Get out of Western Europe and some schools go away over this minimum. once i left Spain my work load halved and my pay doubled. i would move back to Spain in a heartbeat to live, honestly its an amazing country, but what you get to work there is generally terrible.

11. musikteech

I bet Spanish teachers are only on 24000euro a year. The OP could take the job and then look for a better job while working and then give notice if one is found.

12. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Of course they do, because they're compensating you for not having the living standards you would in Western Europe.

It's all a balancing act. I would rather earn enough to live comfortably in Western Europe than be earning money to burn in Saudi Arabia. If a geographical location has lower salaries, then there is a reason for this. It may be that there is a long queue of people who want to work there because of the quality of life. If a different geographical location pay highly, then it's usually because you have to sacrifice soem amount of quality of life. For me, life is too short to chase the amount of money that are paid in teaching wherever you are.

13. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

Yeah, do that enough times and you won't have to worry about salaries ever again because you'll be completely unemployable.

14. musikteech

Where in poor old Africa do they pay all this?

15. dumbbells66

i've lived on 3 different continents, and have always got way more than this.

16. cherpat87

cherpat87 New commenter

any ideas on what the taxes are in Spain ? trying to figure out what my take home is a nightmare.

I do agree with revans66, the fact that they are not providing any sort of relocation really is off putting. I am thinking to try and negotiate more. in terms of relocation atleast. How long do you think I need to stay in one school so that it doesnt look like I am a flight risk on my CV. I just want to leave the UK tbh.

17. dumbbells66

18. T0nyGT

T0nyGT Lead commenter

I would have a think about your motives for leaving the UK and how they are affecting your decision making here. Lots of people so desperately want to leave that they just end up going wherever. My advice would be to avoid the 'out of the frying pan in to the fire' scenario by looking carefully at what you want. Two years in a school or place you hate will seem like an eternity. And two years is what you will have to give to make yourself employable in the future.

19. musikteech

Why are you mythering about relocation costs to Spain? You'll need £100 for an Easyjet one-way ticket and about £400 for a deposit on a room in a shared flat. You can always move to your own flat once you get your first paycheck. 32K is a lot of money for an NQT. You won't get what Revan66 is cos he's an experienced teacher. You just won't get these sort of jobs yet. Just take what you've been offered, get a cheap room in Barcelona and stay there one year or two if you like it, save £10k a year on that salary.

20. dumbbells66

yes he could.... he teaches Physics !!!! have you any idea how much they are in demand. i am working with an NQT here (well the American equivalent at least) and he is on completely the same package as me. after tax in Spain he would be on around 23k, and then he has to pay for rent, bills etc.