1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in an FE

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by kheal041, Dec 9, 2011.

1. Hello fellow educators!
    I am currently an NQT in a further education college that has no afliliation with the local authority. I have not yet been given a NQT mentor nor told what I have to submit in order to become a fully qualified teacher. I have tried to find out myself on what I have to submit and to whom, if there are other NQTs in the college and could arrange informal meetings with etc. but I keep been refered to the PTLLs and DTLLS mentors when I have my PGCE done and dusted last year.
    Anyone got any advice as I am starting to lose my patience with the lack of support after I awas told it would be available during my interview.
    Thank you

2. Hello fellow educators!
    I am currently an NQT in a further education college that has no afliliation with the local authority. I have not yet been given a NQT mentor nor told what I have to submit in order to become a fully qualified teacher. I have tried to find out myself on what I have to submit and to whom, if there are other NQTs in the college and could arrange informal meetings with etc. but I keep been refered to the PTLLs and DTLLS mentors when I have my PGCE done and dusted last year.
    Anyone got any advice as I am starting to lose my patience with the lack of support after I awas told it would be available during my interview.
    Thank you

3. modgepodge

modgepodge Occasional commenter

I'm no expert, but do a search on these forums......I don't think you can do your NQT year in an FE college.

4. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

When you study for the PGCE in Secondary Schools you must also achieve QTS. You cannot work in a secondary school with the PGCE alone and must have also gained QTS. A requirement to be able to work as a teacher in a secondary school is that you must complete induction (the NQT year) which follows on from the Q standards you study on your PGCE.
    In FE the situation is different. You do not need QTS to work in FE. As a result they have no motivation to support you through your induction because having this is not a requirement to work in the FE sector. What is required in FE is QTLS, this can only be achieved by an individual who is in FE employment and this is completed through the IFL (it is called professional formation).
    It is unlikely that they will help you gain your NQT. If you are staying in FE then I would go for QTLS, from my understanding it is fairly easy and requires collecting evidence of CPD etc. The only way you will be able to get your NQT done is to gain school based employed.
    That said there are a few FE colleges that will support an individual through their NQT year out of the goodness of their heart but based on what you have said I don't think this is the case with your college!

5. Cheers Georgia99. Think that may solve a few problems.

6. Hi! It's unclear from your post whether you're a secondary NQT working in FE or an FE teacher in their first year of teaching. If the former, the previous posters on here have given you excellent advice, so speak to your manager and LEA about this urgently, so see if you can make the arrangements necessary to pass your probation. If the latter, you are fully qualified but are still entitled to support. Namely, a mentor who you see on a regular basis and the opportunity to observe other lessons if you wish. The better colleges will also give you a lighter timetable because it's your first year (e.g. 20 hours instead of 25). By the way, I'm sure the reason why you were sent to the PGCE/DTLLS mentor if you're FE qualified is because it's usually these people who mentor NQTs and new members of staff at a college as well. The next thing for you to do if no-one else has said anything to you yet, is to sort out your QTLS through formation. The IfL gives further details of this, but if you want a hand with that, PM me and I'll give you further details.

HTH and welcome to FE!

7. The main thing I need to know is whether your PGCE isfor QTLS or QTLLS in which case there is not formal induyction requirement for you. If your QTS is for secondary teaching (or primary) then while it is possible to do induction in an FE setting this needs a special arrangement between the college and the LA and may involve a cost to the college. So if you think that you should beon induction you can check with the LA NQT adviser if you have been registered. If you have not thgen there is no obligation for the college to do this, you would have to get them to agree. The problem is that induction time cannot be backdatedso youmay have lost out on this term.
    James

8. flybe

flybe New commenter

I had the same issue. There was no motivation for my FE college to arrange my QTS induction. Like you, months had passed and I had not one observation or meeting. Between poor communication and passing the buck I had not been registered as an NQT and had been recommended to go along with QTLS (Not in my interests as my PGCE was in secondary Business). With the advice of James (this forum's don) I rang up the NQT Advisor at the LA who, over the last two weeks, I have developed a great rapport with. She has explained step by step what has needed to be done. I am excessively lucky as she said she would backdate my time as long as I would fit in two obs and send paperwork by 12th/12. This is a deadline which once passed cannot retrieve the time which you have already taught. First thing you can do is just get your self registered (filling out a form and getting the school to send it to your LA). QTS induction means there is around £200 which your faculty should pay - you need a mentor also.
    ~
    In the end - I have been assigned a mentor (who is supportive), my faculty has paid for my fees and I have been registered however I carried out the jobs of two experienced managers in order to find out and get myself onto a plan - thats the deal with FE - they are lazy c**!s

Hope it works out.

9. Can I ask if you had to do any additional days training in a secondary school whilst doing your NQT in FE? I have had similar problems to you which are just getting sorted out but have been told that I may to do 10 days in secondary! Thanks