1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in a special measure school

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by ropi, Nov 8, 2017.

1. ropi

ropi New commenter

Evening every. I found a agency maternity from january as an Nqt Social Science teacher but catch is that school has come out of special measure. My concern is .. Is it wise for me go for the job? Would I receive good support? I am single parent:i don't want to go from a permanent cover supervisor job to unemployment.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

If the school has come out of special measures then they must have worked very hard to make that happen, and possibly they have a new Head and a new direction, so it could be beneficial as there may be lots of training opportunities.

On the other hand there may have been lots of staff turnover - you should ask the agency to find out who your mentor will be, and some details about them. You need a mentor who is in your department, and who is not new to the school, and has done mentoring before.

3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

You need to establish that there will be full NQT support- release time, mentor and access to training.
    This does not always happen with agency filled staff and you need to be clear before accepting a post.
    If its a maternity cover then by definition it will be fixed term until the return of the permanent teacher.
    As always with social science you also need to establish what other subjects you are timetabled for to make up a full timetable!

4. ropi

ropi New commenter

Thank you both. I have turned the offer down as I was told that I will be on a time sheet until July and then if they like me will ask me to continue in September. Such a shame.