1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Nqt in a school in trouble!

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by User2525, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think classroom displays are one of the few tasks you can't be asked to do. Sorry this doesn't answer your question, I have no idea.

2. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

You can't be asked to put them up (which is why prior to the last ofsted inspection a person appeared in my classroom, stapled a whole bunch of stuff on the space on a noticeboard and vanished again).
    If the school goes into special measures, that usually lands at the feet of SMT or maybe heads of department. A classroom teacher is going to be judged on their own results and teaching ability - you're not responsible for the other 50 or so staff that either saved the day or sunk the ship.
    Not that it would stop an interviewer asking about how you would improve standards in your own classroom...

3. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

I don't know about not doing displays - I've done them since the beginning of the year. I haven't really got an issue about this (normally!) It's just that now we're expected to include "words of the week", annotated text types, examples of how to achieve different levels, as well as the usual working wall. (No mention of showing children's own work!)
    I'm finding it tough trying to do that, planning, APP, teacher assessments, marking, big writing, a new maths initiative etc. It feels like actually teaching is at the bottom of the list of things to do!! I find it frustrating because I so enjoyed last year, thinking up innovative lessons and (hopefully!) inspiring the children.
    Now, with all the other things; that to my mind I don't see necessarily improving standards, I find that my energy and time to organise inspiring lessons is almost zero!

4. Firstly, it would be good to 'Dear James' this post. What is of greater concern is if your school fails it's OFSTED. My understanding is that you cannot do your NQT at such a school.
    It may well be worth your having a chat iwth your Union as well.
    Best of luck. You are sounding remarkably calm considering what you are going through,

5. terri1972

terri1972 New commenter

Oh my goodness - I didn't realise it could be that bad!! Thanks megerton, I will definitely "Dear James". (Maybe I'll "Dear John" as well!! LOL)
    I feel a bit calmer because it's only Monday...by the time Friday comes I'm usually in a right state!! Thanks again for your reply.

6. Schools in special measures cannot employ NQTs, but you are still allowed to continue working there if you've already started! With any luck - if you're in it for the long haul - special measures will mean lots of new SMT who sort the school out and put it back onto an upward trajectory (after all, it can't get any worse). In a few years time, this might look really good for you.

7. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

In my experience when a school goes into measures then great care is taken to support NQTs. HMI usually follow up any arrangements made as part of their monitoring visit.
    You may therefore find there is more support and opportunity than previously. In addition you can use the experience as a positive thing in applying for other posts- do avoid the blame culture. The reasons for measures were there before you joined them and Heads would be interested in what you have experienced and in particular the skills and approaches you have used to achieve progress.

8. Schools in special measures CAN hire new NQTs as well as continue to employ old NQTs. They have to have permission to employ the new NQTs and be able to prove that they will give adequate provision.

9. If you have already started induction then the school goes into SM then you can continue working and there will be specific OFSTED/HMI attention given to make make sure you have proper support. If a school goes into SM it does not mean that the whole teaching force is doomed. It will very much depend on why the school is in SM. I know of schools that have slipped into SM, but within that teachers were reated as outstanding by OFSTED. Yes, often when SM descends then lots of teachers move - for amny different reaosns and it is not all 'rats leaving the sinking ship' some reassess their careers and see it as an opportunity to move on, some stay and see getting their school out of SM as a mission they would like to take on to improve their career chances, for some it is the impetus to look and move for others they stay for the children.
    Schools in SM need permission from OFSTED to hire new NQTs.
    james