1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in a failing school

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by Purepoise, Nov 28, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Purepoise

Purepoise New commenter

Hi Guys,

I cannot digress too much information as it is confidential, but I am an NQT in a school that is going to be deemed 4 by OFSTED.

I am writing purely because I'm panicking. As a new teacher I am commencing my training in a school that is now going into special measures and I am considering my whole career. Someone mentioned to me that if I was to be moving on to a different school prior to being in this one, no one will want to touch me because I will be seen as 'inadequately trained' as reflected by my previous employer. I just need some advice on what to do next.

I am finding it difficult to get advice from my department as they are all in the same position and are very biased trying to keep the team together. I know that this is going to be a very difficult time, and I feel a little bit lost.

I wasn't actually seen by OFSTED, and not in a snobby or big headed way, but I feel as I am fresh out of training my teaching is actually alright.

Any advice would be great.

2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

I think you mean 'divulge' not 'digress', and 'after' not 'prior to'.

I don't think it's true that you will be considered to be 'inadequately trained' - when schools go in to special measures lots of training and support should be put into place for all staff in the school, in order to solve whatever issue has lead to them being put into in special measures; that could actually benefit you, as you could end up having access to many more training opportunities than a regular NQT.

It depends why the school is going into SM - if the reason is because your department in particular has produced extremely poor results, or taught the wrong exam specs (it's happened!), then your department will be given massive support in order to rectify that (and likely a new HOD to sort things out). If your department is not the problem, then that's something you can all bond over.

You say that you think your teaching is 'alright', but the school is not going into SM because of poor teaching - there must be something serious such as exam results, or safeguarding concerns, or something like that. Do you know the reasons? (don't share, I was just wondering) You can still have 'outstanding' teaching in a SM school.

Future employers will see this as a learning experience, that has aided your development as a teacher. If you stick with it, you are showing resilience. If you work together with your department to ensure you have great SOW and resources, and all pull together to boost morale, then that is something to be proud of on your next job app.

It sounds like your department are already pulling together, which is great, because this will be a hard time for the staff (and students), and it may result in people losing their jobs (depending on the reasons for SM), and can cause a lot of stress which results in sickness and people handing in notice. I worked in an RI school and found it very hard because there was a lot of negativity, and I arrived after it had already been RI for many years, so I was an outsider - it sounds like your department see you as an insider, so that's a good start.

For now, you should see how things pan out, see what the reasons for the classification are, and see what steps the school takes to address them.

3. sooooexcited

sooooexcited Occasional commenter

You'll get an abundance of training opportunities , you'll be able to contribute to changes in the department to move the school forward and you'll work with staff from other schools such as lead teachers etc to help you up your game .
    Yes, it'll be stressful and morale will be low but for your own teaching development , there is a silver lining.