1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in a British Forces School - good idea?

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Mira_belle, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Mira_belle

Mira_belle New commenter

Hi,

I'm currently on a Primary PGCE course and am looking for an NQT post for September. The idea of doing this abroad really appeals to me and having read other posts on the forum I feel quite comfortable with the idea of teaching in a Forces school. But, does anyone have any experience of doing your induction year like this? Is the level of support comparable to that in a UK mainland school? It would be a big move for me and my children, I would have to stick it out 'come what may' and as a widowed parent need to be sure that my future career/earning potential wouldn't suffer from such a move...I'm thinking of three children wanting to go to Uni - eek!

Friends with experience of service life are all saying go for it - we are sociable and always up for a challenge so would relish some time abroad, plus the children would have a chance to learn another language, travel etc. I'm assuming that you have the option to use either the local school system or the Forces school - is this right?

Many thanks for your help!

2. I am in my second year of teaching and wanting to go abroad as well. I passed my Induction year but due to oa total lack of support at my school I feel I am still at that level and want to move to get some help to move on in my career as I feel I am just totally stationary in my present school. - I am interested in the level of support in International schools. Can anyone help?

3. Mr robinson

Mr robinson New commenter

The level of support is in my experience much less than in the UK. International schools recruit with the expectations that you are good at your job and expect you to get on with it. Most good international schools would expect a minimum of 2-3 yrs experience already . 2nd division international schools may recruit less experienced teachers, but these are often the schools where you need support, and they are the least likely to give it. My recommendation- do a minimum of 2 years, maybe even 4 and then think about coming onto the international circuit

4. redlorry

redlorry New commenter

British Forces Schools are not international schools - they work in exactly the same way that schools in England do, and this includes support and professional development.

5. As a child i attended SCE schools and as a parent my children have also. They ARE NOT international schools, some schools have a section in international schools, but will follow the UK Curriculum. It is the same as attending a UK school. My children grew up overseas and had great experiences of living a 'British' life abroad. I have also worked as support staff in SCE schools, great experience. Look at the SCE website and they will give you all the information you need. Be aware that forces children have different issues to contend with ie seperation from parents etc. But we are not a bad bunch!!!!

6. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I've just been successfully appointed to an SCE school, so my experience is limited to the application/interview process. What I can say, to echo points already made, is that these schools are fully part of the English educative system. They follow the English Curriculum, are subject to Ofsted and deliver Year 6 testing, just like any other English school. The only major difference is that they fall under the auspices of the MoD, not the DFES (or whatever it's calling itself now).

My experiences so far have been amazingly positive and supportive, and I would not hesitate to advise an NQT to give it a go. I've met three headteachers of SCE schools during the last four months, and would be happy to work for any of them.

Good luck.

7. If you are thinking about earning potential etc then SCE schools are fabulous - they throw pots of money at you, and give accom etc, so you are quids in. I would bite someone's hand off to teach in one (for lots of reasons, the money only being a tiny part of this).
    I have heard (and only heard rumors, nothing from offical sources etc) that in the coming years the MOD are looking to scale back SCE, however they have been saying this for quite a few years and they keep recruiting, so not too much it would appear, but might be a consideration if you want to stay somewhere for ages and ages.
    As I say - if I could work for them I would in a heartbeat. good luck :)

8. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

I have been told by the people at SCE themselves that' although draw down will eventually mean a reduction in the number of schools, they still expect to be recruiting for the next five years. Simply put, there is not enough accommodation in Britain to home the amount of currently serving armed forces personal, and many foreign bases will need to remain active until there is. Also, there are bases, such as the one in Brunei, which are pretty much bullet proof.

They were very open with me, and said that they couldn't guarantee a position for the rest of my career, but that I shouldn't need to worry for at least five years.

Hope this helps.

9. Oh, many thanks Jaupua, v helpful :)

10. Jaupua

Jaupua New commenter

;-) My pleasure.

11. Hi, did you apply to the recent NQT pool advert in TES that had its closing date I think about the end of January? Where did you go for interview and what did they ask you to do? Were you expected to teach a lesson or was it more of a formal interview process? Just wondering as I've applied, but unfortunately not heard anything else yet.

12. Hi, I've also applied and am waiting to hear. If I was to be successful it would be a move with the hubbie and kids. Getting really impatient to hear one way or the other, but keeping my fingers crossed as it appears some people were just contacted on Friday. Good luck and its good to hear that other mums are looking at this option too.