1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT in 2 schools part-time?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by anthonymd, Jun 15, 2019.

1. anthonymd

anthonymd New commenter

Is it possible to complete NQT by working part-time in two different schools? Would both jobs (say 1 day/week and 3 days/week) count towards the number of teaching days for induction to be complete? Or just the school you are in most often?

2. saqhibali

saqhibali New commenter

In the guidance Ive found it seems to say one school needs to take the lead, and have ownership with the Appropriate Body and do all the paperwork.

3. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

Why would you want to complete nqt in two different schools? That sounds like a nightmare. It's hard enough getting to grips with the policies, staff, children, politics of one school.

peter12171 and blueskydreaming like this.
  4. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

In two schools during my NQT I had two mentors - one general and one subject specific. I guess if someone did their NQT in two schools they would automatically end up with two mentors; potentially four!

My experience of two mentors was horrendous on both occasions. Whilst they obviously tried to help, a consequence was that I was being given different areas to focus in or different advice on how to deal with problems. I’m sure it would be possible to do an NQT year in two schools, but I would strongly advise against it.

5. jubilee

jubilee Star commenter

It's perfectly possible. The one where you are employed first will register you as an NQT and will manage the paperwork. If starting at the two schools at the same time, the one thta employs you for more days per week will manage it all. Both schools register you as an NQT on Induction and you get the reduced timetable at both.

The LA (or other supervising body) will work out at which point an Induction term has been completed based on the contracted time at both schools being added together.
    The lead school will make contact with the second school to discuss the NQT periodically.

Induction terms do not need to start at the beginning of a school term and do not need to end at the end of a school term.