1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT- Improving standards of writing.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by Amie1509, Jun 24, 2011.

1. I have found out I have a year 5 class next year. As I am really enthusiastic about starting I wanted to find out from the current class teacher where the childrens strengths lie. All the children are really expressive fluent readers. Only a couple of children with suspected dyslexia need more support, due to visual stress. So I am lucky really. However, the class teacher has noted that many children find writing chiallenging and need more guidance in this area. As an NQT I have had some experience with improving writing but i'm guessing my ideas are pretty standard. To prepare myself, I would like to do some reading to get more ideas to inspire the children. Does anyone have any ideas to improve children's writing or recommend any reading.
    Sorry if i'm asking something thats pretty obvious, any ideas will be much appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I'd recommend reading the jumpstart literacy and storytelling books (and as it happens the science/creativity/maths/etc)

Oh and the 'Getting the *** to Write' books.

3. Thanks, it's hard to know where to start. I really want to help the children improve in a way that isn't going to put them off.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Jumpstart are full of fun and exciting short activities to do exactly that.

My class say their best thing in literacy this year was telling a story to my car parked on the playground. That was taken from an idea in the storytelling book. Some of the quirkier children swear blind the car gave them advice on improving the story as well!

Getting the bu ggers to write (books one and two) also has lots of good ideas, more for initiating longer topics or themes though.

Between the two there is plenty to keep you sorted with good and outstanding lessons.

5. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Oh and I meant to add this document is excellent for teaching/revising spelling and phonics knowledge. Which is important to do alongside the creativity.

http://nationalstrategies.standards.dcsf.gov.uk/node/254870

Sorry don't know how to do links on Chrome, so you'll have to copy and paste.

6. Haha! That does sound pretty cool. I've just looked on Amazon they are pretty expensive, I'll have to get a couple at a time.
    I brought Sue Cowley's book on how to survive your first year of teaching which i found pretty helpful. I am such a book worm so hopfully i'll have a few ideas for September.
    Thanks for the link as well I will give it a read. :)

7. Probably not a popular answer but here we go... I would recommend that you read the Y5 optional SATs English booklet as the writing mark scheme will show you what you will be assessing them against at the end of the year. I don't think that means you will be teaching to the test but at least it will give you something to aim at. I read the Y4 one and soon realised that Y4 is all about paragraphs and punctuation!
    I know some people thing SATs are evil and that APP is a pain in the **** but they do tell you what you need to know in terms of writing.
    I also did a lot of whole class guided writing this year where we wrote a text together (SEN scribed by TA). My class coped really well with it and their writing really improved. I made sure I included all the Y4 SATs stuff like varying sentence length for effect e.g. 'I've had a couple of longer sentences so now I'll use a very short one to make it more interesting.' .

8. i am in year 5- i used level cards which i made which the children use when they write. thesereally worked and one of my kids moved from a 2a to a 4b this year. if u want me to email them to you my email is pops_b52@yahoo.co.uk

9. I see no problem with having in mind what the children are expected to achieve by the end. Even if I want to improve their writing through a creative approach it is reassuring if I have aims and targets in the back of my mind. (Also probably not very popular.)
    Thanks for the advice, more useful tips ?

Another question, do you think children should know what level they are working at?

10. Well done you! I hope you're suitably proud and have mentioned it many many times on their report!!!

11. Thanks so much would love those, have sent you an email.
    Thanks again.

12. Is there any chance of uploading these into the resources area? They sound very useful!

13. Wow, what a jump! I would love to have a copy of these please, if possible. If you're okay with that I'll pm you my email. Thanks!

14. Oops, I've just seen that you've already uploaded these! Should have checked first, sorry. Thank you, they look very useful.

15. Thank you for uploading these!