1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Illness stats

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by Bobby_Carrot, Jan 23, 2012.

1. I was lucky - didn't have any time of as an NQT, only had one cold last year and that was just after OFSTED so I think the stress didn;t help. I swear by Sainsburys REVIVE. It is a fizzy multivitamin and I take it every morning.
    That said, I was a TA before my NQT year and also did GTP. I had a week off during my GTP year with a violent sickness bug that took some getting over, but my mentor and three other teachers and a third of the kids were also off in the space of three weeks with that one!

2. Hi, I've been lucky too. Started my NQT year in September and just got rid of my first cold. I managed to survive being coughed and sneezed on and also managed to avoid a sickness bug that hit most other staff!
    I really recommend taking zinc tablets - one a day - they're really cheap and I take them whenever I feel the slightest sniffle and keep taking them throughout my cold. Magic!
    Sarbon[​IMG]

3. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I have been quite fortunate, I started my NQT year in October and haven't even had a cold yet. I thought I'd get everything going but haven't been ill at all. Last year during my PGCE I got 2 colds and I also got 1 last summer but nothing since! Unless of course you class stress in this in which case I have lots of that-no time off for that yet though.
    My school do have alcohol gel dispensers in every classroom and I regularly use that during the day so whether that is making a difference?