1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT, how do i leave?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by emhowardx, Feb 21, 2018.

  1. emhowardx

    emhowardx New commenter

    I started my NQT in September and have been working full time in a Secondary school teaching Philosophy and religion since then. I didn't pass my first formal assessment and i'm not enjoying the job at all. Behaviour management is a real issue and all accountability has been placed on me. Finding it very difficult to keep up with planning (hardly any resources in my department), lack of support and anxiety and insomnia. I'm thinking very seriously about leaving. I've been signed off for ten days with anxiety and wondering what the next steps are.
    What would be the negative of handing in my resignation now? Would it impact any other career choices if i didn't want to carry on teaching?
    How long would it be realistically till i could leave?
    Thank you very much for your help!
  2. Skeoch

    Skeoch Lead commenter

    Two instant suggestions.
    If your username identifies you, get it changed.
    Re-post in the New Teachers part of the forum.
    Another one:
    Have a long and thorough discussion with your NQT mentor, who is supposed to be meeting you regularly.
    pepper5 likes this.
  3. emhowardx

    emhowardx New commenter

    Thank you Sekoch, I have done this. It's also not my real name!
    My NQT mentor is mainly the problem, she is a very unsympathetic woman and just says no one can 'hold my hand'.
  4. pepper5

    pepper5 Star commenter

    Try phoning the Education Support Partnership who will be able to listen and advise. Their details are pinned at the top of the Workplace Dilemma thread. They have years of experience and have counselled many people who find themselves in your position.

    It makes me angry that there are mentors with the attitude that yours has. Her job is to support you and give you suggestions regarding the issues you face: the planning without resources, the behaviour management, and working on the reasons you didn't pass your formal assessment.

    Don't make any choices about leaving or staying until you have spoken to Education Support Partnership.

    In the meantime for planning, look through the resources on this site as some of them are well written and even if you have to buy a few things just to see you through, it is an excellent investment.

    For behaviour management, look on Pivotal Education web site for strategies to use. Also have a look through on the behaviour forum thread for ideas.

    Try not to worry. This has happened to many people and there are people who will help you.
  5. MrMedia

    MrMedia Star commenter

    Contact your old PGCE course tutor. They will be in contact with all the local schools and also have quite strong partnership links. I get this occasionally. It depends on the situation, but I can always help my ex trainee.
  6. Skeoch

    Skeoch Lead commenter

    I think @welshwizard will be able to give good advice here.
    Your mentor should be being given time specifically to support you. I am shocked that she isn't helping: I've always seen it as a privilege to be an NQT mentor. There should be someone in the school responsible for all NQT induction as well - maybe you can speak with them?
  7. welshwizard

    welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

    Your key decision now needs to be whether you remain until the end of this term or look to exit before . Leaving now has the advantage of preserving 2 terms of induction to restart elsewhere- also you can get on supply agency books for opportunities in the summer term ahead of all the NQTs coming out this year. if you remain until the end of term and have 2 assessments not meeting standards then this makes it more difficult as you would only have one term of induction to show you have improved enough to pass.
    Contact the named person at the appropriate body for advice and also your union representative. You can PM me if you need to chat further

Share This Page