1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice

NQT -> Private Tutor

Discussion in 'Private tutors' started by evilpixie, Jun 28, 2011.

  1. I've just completed my Secondary ICT PGCE and don't have a job as yet. I was, therefore, looking at doing some tutoring.
    Please can someone point me in the right direction to look into this.
    I assume I need to be self employed and keep books but I have no experience of being anything but employed so don't know what I need to do or think about!


  2. See if there is a branch of 'Home-School Tutoring' near you www.homeschooltutoring.co.uk they seek to negociate good rates for the tutors on their register and offer a great local service. All the best with you tutoring!
  3. Excellen thank you
    Anything else I should know?
  4. Brush up your CV and have your qualification certificates handy. Get yourself a CRB check if you don't already have one and don't forget to find out about insurance which will cover you where ever you are and let your home insurer know if you are going to have members of the public in your house.
  5. thank you!
  6. hhhh

    hhhh Star commenter

    What about tax-maybe call your local tax office? Anyone any better idea for her?
  7. The tax office are usually very good and self-assessment is much easier these days now you can do it online. If you are going to be self employed get the ball rolling with tax straight away and also look at 'Business Link' which has all sorts of help for small businesses and self employed people. Check out whether you need Data protection too (depends how you keep records) but this is only around £35 per year.
  8. Thanks again - very helpful!

Share This Page