1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - Going into Year 3! Any advice or tips?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by mcarr1992, Jun 12, 2019.

1. mcarr1992

mcarr1992 New commenter

Hi
    I'm starting my first teaching post in Year 3 in September. I'm really excited!
    During my PGCE I've really struggled planning Maths. If anyone has any advice for Maths or general tips that Year 3 that would be great.
    Is there anyone else about to start the same role?

Get in touch

Maria

2. doteachershavesuperpowers

doteachershavesuperpowers Occasional commenter

Congratulations.
    I would try to speak to their year 2 teacher to get an insight into their abilities and also who shouldn't sit near whom.
    When I taught year 3 I started off the first term going over some of the stuff they did in year 2 before focusing on the year 3 stuff.

3. phatsals

phatsals Established commenter

You could try Hamilton Trust for your planning and adjust it accordingly.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

It was always my favourite year group. Treat them like the KS2 that they will be but remember they've only been on this earth for 7 years. My god, I've got underwear older than they are. Some of them can get a bit above themselves so sit on that from the get go - high expectations for how they treat each other with respect. They will probably like awards so table awards, group awards, all round superstar of the day etc will set you off on the right foot. I've been retired for 10years but it cant have changed that much.

mcarr1992 likes this.
  5. mcarr1992

mcarr1992 New commenter

Good tips, thanks!

6. celago22

celago22 Occasional commenter

White rose maths is really good. I would recommend that you download the schemes of learning from their website. Best tip I can give you is try to understand the children's starting points. Many won't know the value of a digit in a 2 digit number, for example. Use lots of dienes and practical equipment for maths.

7. Piscean1

Piscean1 Senior commenter

Definitely maintain the practical equipment in Maths. Have high expectations of them but expect them to be "lower" than you expect. They always seem younger and less independent to me at the start of the year too. They are actually quite little which is easy to forget!

Remember it's a change for them. The transition can really affect some children and their initial progress. It usually evens itself out later in the year or as they go into Year 4. The transition from KS1 curriculum to KS2 curriculum isn't as smooth as it could be so definitely spend time reviewing some of the Year 2 objectives before moving onto Year 3.

You'll see them really mature over the year.

8. mcarr1992

mcarr1992 New commenter

Brilliant thanks, I spent my training year in Year 2 so I think that will hopefully help.