1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT from South Africa

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by hansan55, Dec 31, 2015.

1. hansan55

hansan55 New commenter

Hi,

I am a Newly Qualified Teacher from South Africa. I have done my PGCE in Foundation PHase and am now looking to find work abroad. Is there any advice of where to start or where to look for jobs for NQTs? I have seen a lot of job vacancies want people who have at least 2 years experience or people who have specifically studied in England.
    Please advise on what the best way to go forward would be. Thank you

2. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Hullo there!

Well, you don't really need this advice from me, as you already know it!

This is the advice:

1. Get a post to do your induction year here. You are not completely qualified until you have successfully completed your induction year
    2. Do at least one more year of teaching in the UK, to gain sufficient experience to be considered for a post in a good school abroad.

I am basing this advice on what may be an incorrect understanding of your post. I understood you to mean that you are of S African nationality, and have completed a PGCE here in the UK.

If you have done your PGCE in S Africa, have you also completed an induction year there if needs be?

In which case the advice will be:

1. Gain QTS in the UK by jumping the administrative hoops to have your S.A. qualification recognised
    2. Do at least one more year of teaching in the UK, to gain sufficient experience to be considered for a post in a good school abroad.

Best wishes for 2016