1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT for year 6 job

Discussion in 'Career clinic' started by nmarge789, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Hi I am an NQT and would like some advice. There is a position going at a school I have been working at through a supply agency and I feel I have built up a good relationship with the school and would like to go for the position. However the position is for year six. This doesn't put me off as I've worked frequently in this year group and feel I have a good relationship with the pupils. But I know that year six is a huge responsibility with SATs. Would I even be considered going for this position? Would I be in over my head if I applied? Am I being far too ambitious? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the deadline for this job is in a couple of weeks! Thanks! Natalie.

2. galerider123

galerider123 Lead commenter

Would you be the only year 6 teacher, or is there a partner class/are there more year 6
    classes?

3. Piranha

Piranha Star commenter

If you have had experience of Year 6, and think you can cope, then why not go for it? The school knows you, and should be able to decide if you are up to it. Having been in secondary, I don't know a lot about Year 6, but I suspect it is similar to the pressures I had teaching A2 in my NQT year.

4. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

Preparing to apply and going as far as you can with it will be useful experience in itself. It's never a waste of time or effort. And if you get it, it will also be very good experience. Don't hold back( btw - would a male NQT hold back - I doubt it :)).

Btw again - do you need to anonymise your posts or is your real name Hilda Ramsbotham.

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

Go for it.
    The school will want an excellent teacher, experience doesn't guarantee that.

The pupils know you and you are applying from a position of strength, you have nothing to lose (apart from a little dignity maybe).
    Make sure you mention how much you enjoy your time there and be specific about how you can benefit the school.
    Best of luck!

6. muso2

muso2 Occasional commenter Community helper

Go for it!
    Think about how you might answer questions related to year 6 - they might ask how you would cope with sats pressure, prepare children for sats, etc. Thinking through this should make you feel more confident too. And, particularly if it's one form entry, you might want to check what support would be available to you as an nqt.
    If it's the right job for you, you'll get it. Good luck.

7. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Ah that's great thank you. Yeah I was just unsure whether I would be out of my depth with it. I am unsure about the hilda comment though?

8. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Ah that's great advice and helpful tips too. Thank you! I feel a lot better about going for this job. The head might not have me in mind but if I don't ask or apply I'll never know but you have reassured me a lot. Thank you

9. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Thank you so much! This has reassured me greatly. Definitely thinking of going for it now. There's nothing to loose really

10. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Great advice. Thank you! I feel as if I can do the job and should go for t now. Thank you!

11. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

@nmarge789 I thought you might be giving too much info signing off your post with what might be your real name. But of course it might be a pseudonym. That's all;.