1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT for year 6 job?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nmarge789, Oct 10, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Hi I am an NQT and would like some advice. There is a position going at a school I have been working at through a supply agency and I feel I have built up a good relationship with the school and would like to go for the position. However the position is for year six. This doesn't put me off as I've worked frequently in this year group and feel I have a good relationship with the pupils. But I know that year six is a huge responsibility with SATs. Would I even be considered going for this position? Would I be in over my head if I applied? Am I being far too ambitious? Any advice would be greatly appreciated as the deadline for this job is in a couple of weeks! Thanks! Natalie.

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Are you able to make a visit/talk to the head before applying? They may give you an idea of whether they're really hoping for someone with more experience, or whether they were hoping you would apply.
    An obvious thing for you to be asking is what support you would be given with SATs preparation and so on.

Some schools do put NQTs in year 6. I once met two NQTs on a course, who'd gone to visit the school between interview and starting to be told "We've given you the year 6 classes, as nobody else wanted them. And we've booked you on a course called "'cracking the hard class'." I don't think it's always like that, though, and you obviously know this school already, so hopefully no surprises.

3. JessicaRabbit1

JessicaRabbit1 Senior commenter

I did my NQT in Year 6 in an RI school. It really all depends on the school and the support available to you. If you've already taught there then you have an advantage in that you'll have a feel for it already. It's not for everyone; I do know of another teacher that did the same several years ago and is still suffering the health implications - but that's not to say that wouldn't have happened had he been in a different year group.

4. voiceoftruthandwisdom526

voiceoftruthandwisdom526 New commenter

I was an NQT in Year 6 last year, in a single-form entry school. Like you, I knew the school fairly well as I'd done a lot of my training there too.

I'm not going to say it was really easy, because you do have a feeling of pressure to get them to do well. However, with a good, supportive SLT it shouldn't be that bad - I put myself under a lot of stress, habitually. That said, I wanted to stay in Year 6 this year, and was told that the school's governing board actively wanted to keep me there as well.

It's a very rewarding year group for a lot of reasons - and SATs is by far not the be-all-and-end-all of it! If you want the job, go for it :)

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

I answered elsewhere, but just thought you may want to ask on the HTs board how they feel about appointing NQTs to year 6. I have a feeling you will be reassured and very pleasantly surprised.

6. nmarge789

nmarge789 New commenter

Thank you for all your feedback and replies. I can approach the head when the advert goes up. I'd like to think I'd be capable of the job but I understand the importance of year six. The school is a single form so I would be alone in the year group but there would be plenty of support available. I guess it's a case of if I don't ask or apply for it I'll never know. Thank you for all the info you've reassured me that I wouldn't be daft in applying of other NQTs have been in year six before.

7. cellerdore

cellerdore Occasional commenter

I did my NQT year in Year 6 and then spent another 3 years there- love it! Yes the SATS might be stressful but I think it really teaches you how to make the most of your class time as you cant waste any of it, also, Year 6 are a lovely year group- proper little people with their own opinions and personalities.