1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT folder expectation help.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by PineappleTeach, Feb 28, 2018.

1. PineappleTeach

PineappleTeach New commenter

Hello,

I was just wondering what everyone else is keeping in their NQT folder of evidence. I am currently aiming for 3 pieces of evidence for each sub section of a standard but the paperwork involved seems horrific. Is anyone doing this in a more efficient way or has any advice on what exactly to include?

My school and LA have been very vague with what is expected from us and when asking the reply is general evidence. I feel far more direction/training should have been given.

I would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.
    Thank you,

2. peter12171

peter12171 Star commenter

I don't think that the number of pieces of evidence is that important; the main thing is that you can show that you are reaching the standards. Obviously the more you can get, within reason, the better, but I wouldn't worry about the amount of evidence - if you are missing a few after your first term you can focus on them in the second/third to show that you are taking feedback into consideration and developing as a teacher.

And remember that one piece of evidence can often be used for several subsections of the standards.

Stiltskin likes this.
  3. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Its not the same as QTS you are not going to submit it for an assessment. Most evidence is naturally occurring as a result of your teaching you are going to have planning and assessment materials, lesson observation, mentor meetings, termly assessment reports, pupil performance data, training courses, etc. etc. Really it is an academic exercise to try and relate these to standards as "evidence". The evidence is already there and the statutory guidance emphasises the focus for induction is on strengths, areas for development and the targets you are being set. This is the basis of the termly assessment reporting.
    There is enough wasted paperwork in teaching without adding to it unnecessarily

4. Over_the_hill

Over_the_hill Star commenter

I was an NQT last year and didn’t have to submit a folder. My mentor told me to make a folder labelled ‘Professional Development’ and put in it observation feedback, notes from our meetings, evidence of all CPD (exactly as @welshwizard said) and that was it. No additional paperwork was required. You have done the right thing by asking you school and LA, but if they are just giving you a vague answer I wouldn’t get too worried about it, just make sure you keep records of the above.

5. Billie73

Billie73 Occasional commenter

I never made a folder. I kept my lesson observation write ups haphazardly in a file but I even lost half of those. Nobody ever checked it - maybe I was just lucky!

cys2017 likes this.
  6. Pomza

Pomza Star commenter

I've got a whole bunch of NQTs (most of who are doing very well) and I don't think any of them have 'a folder'.

What's the point? - I can see their students' data and have a record of any lessons observations that have been undertaken. What else is there?

cys2017 likes this.
  7. bg31rr

bg31rr New commenter

I remember spending a good deal of time on my folder (at the instruction of my mentor) for it then to be completely passed over by the person in charge of induction. My mentor wanted it cross referenced and colour coded.

Keep all your formal paperwork safe. Anything else can be printed as needed.

cys2017 likes this.