1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT - First Term Fail due to PDP

Discussion in 'New teachers' started by TCMM, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I "failed" my first term due to insufficient, good quality evidence on my PDP. I passed my assessed lesson and my mentor signed off all evidence.
    I have no complaints about the feedback but I think it would have been reasonable for my assessor, who had access to my electronic PDP to warn me / my mentor that evidence was not of sufficient quality / used too many times / etc.
    Is this reasonable or am I just bitter because I didnt get the reccomendation I wanted?

2. I "failed" my first term due to insufficient, good quality evidence on my PDP. I passed my assessed lesson and my mentor signed off all evidence.
    I have no complaints about the feedback but I think it would have been reasonable for my assessor, who had access to my electronic PDP to warn me / my mentor that evidence was not of sufficient quality / used too many times / etc.
    Is this reasonable or am I just bitter because I didnt get the reccomendation I wanted?

3. nebveb

nebveb New commenter

Hi am a bit confused - if you are an NQT is it no your CEPD. Also if your assessor didn't warn you then she/he is at fault. You must be in a good position if your lesson passed and mentor signed off your evidence. Most importantly do you think your PDP was good enough?

4. We have this e-pdp we are supposed to fill in in Surrey. My mentor suggested I write to the county education training provider as she said that a lot of the evidence she signed off has been signed off for other NQTs at the school by other mentors AND assessors. Also in our meeting with my assessor we were told that I could only use a piece of evidence for a maximum of 2 standards but the county education provider told us different. Also, as I had resigned from the school my mentor and I were initially told to stop the PDP and focus on teaching and only several weeks later told that I actually did need to complete the PDP after all. To bd honest what annoys me is that if I had had any indication that I was uploading the wrong type of evidence I could have uploaded more / different evidence. Pretty hard to motivate myself for the next few days!

5. I know that Surrey uses an electronic PDP, but actually you do not pass or fail induction term by term. You have completed one term of induction and you have two left to complete. If you are provided with contradictory advice then that is unsatisfactory in itself. If you complete the term that is a term completed. The school should sign off the term and you should be provided with an opportunity to comment on the school/LA assessment of your progress. It would be worth highlighting the contradictory advice provided.
    James

6. I had a call from the people at Babcock who said they would investigate - all seems a bit weird to be honest. The evidence may or may not be weak or insufficient but I just think I, or my mentor, could have been given some sort of indication rather than just being summoned to a meeting and told I was not making satisfactory progress.

7. I am also in Surrey and a victim of the ePDP.

I feel your pain!!!