1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT final term leaving date

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by sarahp5678, Nov 24, 2015.

1. sarahp5678

sarahp5678 New commenter

1. Hi. I am currently in my second term of my NQT year and due to complete my NQT year at Easter. I am not enjoying teaching full time for various reasons and have decided that I don't wish to continue teaching full time after my NQT year. I am aware the resignation date for a Easter finish is 28th Feb to officially leave by 30th April. As Easter is earlier this year, term 5 will be underway by the end of April. Will I officially be able to complete my third term if I finish at Easter and dont go back for 3 weeks until the end of April? I am really worried that I will hand my notice in at the end of Feb but won't complete my NQT year if I leave before the end of April. Can someone please help!

2. frustum

frustum Star commenter

The Easter resignation dates are rather strange.
    Technically, you can only resign to leave at the end of April, but there is an arrangement that if you are leaving for another school, the changeover takes place earlier. If you are not going to another school, then technically you should remain at your school until the end of April, unless they agree to release you earlier. So you should not assume that you can leave at the end of term. In practice, if they have your replacement sorted, then they're usually going to prefer to get them started at the beginning of term, so they will usually agree to you finishing earlier.

I think the requirement for NQT is three terms, so I think they should be able to sign that off before Easter.

Probably the best thing is to write your resignation, giving 30th April as the leaving date. Then, if you wish, add that you would be amenable to finishing at the end of the Easter holiday if that would suit the school better, provided your NQT year can be signed off before then.

3. sarahp5678

sarahp5678 New commenter

Thank you for your reply. I am hoping it is as straight forward as this. It would be heart breaking to stay to finish my NQT year only to be told I am short by a few weeks.

4. Weald56

Weald56 Established commenter

Check with your school? At the worst, if you want to complete your NQT year you need to work on the basis you'll leave on 30 April - if they choose to release you early, say 'Thanks, but can you confirm that this would mean I'll pass my NQT? Otherwise I'll have to stay until the end of April'. Make them confirm that you'll pass in writing...

5. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter