1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT Failure?

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by keriat, May 19, 2019.

1. keriat

keriat New commenter

I am working in a school that I love and the kids I love,however I have always felt like a stop-gap-I am a mature NQT and I know when my face doesnt fit!However when the school advertised my job (I am in a year contract) I applied hoping that I would at least get an interview - two days before it was advertised the HT met with and told me that it was going live and he looked forward to my application.
    Despite feeling aphrehensive as I doubted I would get the job, I applied!Imagine my surprise when the HT calls me at 5.30pm to say that I wouldnt be getting an interview due to my absences being high. As the HOD is absent fairly regularly and Ive had to cover a lot,I could understand from a business point of view. My absences is 8 sick days over two terms-this doesnt include training days or the two days I was off due to my daughters sickness.
    However it was the following comment that threw me and has had me in a mess: Due to your absences, you could fail your NQT year.
    ***?!?!
    No one had expressed that this was a concern (this happened at Easter) well they said I had to be careful with absences but nothing referencing my NQT year!I asked HR and they said that it was a contributing factor suggesting that if absent more than their policy for warning,I could fail.
    I have contacted my union twice and heard nothing.
    I asked my NQT mentor to qualify this for me but not had an answer-its been 4 weeks.
    In the mean time,my subject mentor is wholly negative-they sees me making a mistake and rather than support me there and then,they leave it then uses it as a basis to reprimand me and be very negative!!
    I am feeling worthless, **** teacher, horrible person and scared. I have had panic attacks on the way and after school though it has never interferred with my teaching, and Im now signed off for 2 weeks.Which terrifies me as I still dont know the answer to my original absence question.
    Any advice or similar situations would be appreciated.

pepper5 likes this.
  2. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

They are talking ****. What a pathetic excuse not to offer you an interview.

Please have a look at the statutory NQT guide, published by the government: https://assets.publishing.service.g.../696428/Statutory_Induction_Guidance_2018.pdf

As you can see from the guide, section 3.6, if absences reach more than 30 days your induction has to be EXTENDED, not failed.

If I were you I would contact the named person responsible for NQTs at your LA and request support from them. Tell them what the Head said.

For now, get well and don't worry about your NQT year. You have 1 term remaining, and if they give you hassle you could always complete it at another school. I did.

afsheen1239873 and pepper5 like this.
  3. keriat

keriat New commenter

Thank you for your reply,its good hearing from other people as Im starting to think Im imagining things or be extra sensitive.
    My worry is if absences are under 30 which Im pretty sure they are,then there is nothing in the guides so I guess it could be down to the school?
    Im going to make calls tomorrow.Just hard to sort my head out when still all this going on. I havent heard one thing from my HOD, despite emailing to say good luck to our year 11s-no acknowledgment at all. This stresses and worries me even more.

4. blueskydreaming

blueskydreaming Lead commenter

It seems as though you haven't had much support this year - your HOD is absent a lot and your mentor doesn't communicate with you. Make a note of these issues. Have you had regular mentor meetings and observations?

Again, regarding the 'failing' comment, the doc I linked above is clear that 'There should be no surprises.' (top of page 18) - this means your school cannot simply decide in July to fail you - there must have been a long process of issues identified and support given throughout the year. If they were to decide to fail you for absence the LA would not allow that, and would grant you an extension - they have the power to overrule the school.

As I said above, contact 'the named person' at the LA. Google the words 'named person NQT xyz local authority' - Google will find their phone number. Tell them what's going on.

pepper5 likes this.
  5. keriat

keriat New commenter

I have contacted LA named person, I am just waiting for their reply.
    Thank you for taking the time to reply, it really helps!

blueskydreaming and pepper5 like this.