1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT failing second term.

Discussion in 'NQTs and new teachers' started by goosey100, Jan 18, 2012.

1. goosey100

goosey100 New commenter

I am an NQT who has failed his first term. After coming back after Christmas I have heard that SLT are concerned about the provision I am making for my children, after an awful observation. I am considering quitting but wondering what my notice period is? Should I hang in there and try to make it until Easter with a chance that I may fail, or are my school obligated to tell me they are going to fail me earlier, thereby giving me enough time to hand my notice in? Can they just let me carry on until Easter without warning me of the failure or are they obliged to tell me sooner, say at half term, so I have the chance to leave voluntarily?
    Thanks.

2. goosey100

goosey100 New commenter

I am an NQT who has failed his first term. After coming back after Christmas I have heard that SLT are concerned about the provision I am making for my children, after an awful observation. I am considering quitting but wondering what my notice period is? Should I hang in there and try to make it until Easter with a chance that I may fail, or are my school obligated to tell me they are going to fail me earlier, thereby giving me enough time to hand my notice in? Can they just let me carry on until Easter without warning me of the failure or are they obliged to tell me sooner, say at half term, so I have the chance to leave voluntarily?
    Thanks.

3. GloriaSunshine

GloriaSunshine New commenter

Hang in there. Talk to your mentor about their plans to support you and ensure you know exactly what is expected of you and what you can expect. Then contact the regional office of your union and arrange to meet someone, or discuss your situation in detail. Ask their advice and keep in touch. If it turns around, all well and good. If it doesn't, don't negotiate leaving without union support. Good luck!

4. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

How many times do I have to come on the NQT forum and tell people that they CANNOT FAIL AN INDIVIDUAL TERM?
    Who are the mentors and HTs who still get away with allow their NQTs to believe this?
    You haven't failed a term. What's happened is that the school have flagged up that you may not be making the necessary progress. However, teachers progress at different rates and there's still every chance that you'll improve over the later half of your NQT year and pass.
    In any case, unless you are DEEPLY unhappy, there's no reason to leave at Easter unless you can be absolutely sure of walking into another job. Otherwise you could be a loooonnnnngggg time unemployed. The time to negotiate is towards the half-term point of your final term, when a headteacher may be willing to allow you to leave without completely your third term if they are certain you won't pass.
    But don't just roll over and accept your 'fate'. Are the school putting in place proper strategies to help you pass? They cannot just wash their hands of you, they must show that you've been given appropriate training and support to help you meet the standards. By now, there should be an action plan in place with clear, achieveable targets in specific areas of focus. Are you getting your weekly mentor meetings, in which you receive constructive, well-meaning and measurable feedbac in a positive and supportive manner? Are you acting on this feedback and is your progress against theses targets being observed, recorded and acknowledged?
    If not, get on the case with it. Be proactive. Ask for a meeting with your mentor and take along a list of targets you'd like to set and suggestions of training/support you need. Need to improve classroom management? Is there more TA support available? Is the HOD prepared to come down hard of misbehaving children? Can you observe the same class being taught by another teacher? Can that teacher come and watch you teach them and then offer advice on how you could improve?
    If meetings aren't forthcoming, and action plans aren't in place and realistic, then contact you union for advice.
    Good luck
    Eva xx

5. welshwizard

welshwizard Established commenter Forum guide

Talk your options over with your union and the NQT named person for the LA. It is difficult going into a third term with 2 terms not meeting standards and you need to be sure that you can pas the induction. Failure will mean you are deregistered as a teacher and not allowed to work in the maintained sector in England and Wales. You may be better advised to leave with just one term not meeting standards which means you still have 2 terms intact.

6. As noted above you cannot pass or fail an individual term. If the school has concerns then they should be putting support in place to try to ensure that you rectify problems and get back on track. This will be more than just observations - there should be intervention, extra training, targets with success criteria so that you know if you are meeting them. They should also involve the NQT adviser from the LA and they should be part of the support package for you.
    Do talk to your union and get them to help and advise. It may be the case that a negotiated exit is necessary, but it may also be the case that the concerns can be dealt with and you could be successful. Issues like this need time and expert input to ensure that the right decisions are made.
    James

7. My heart goes out toyou. I passed my first term, but after a tough progress tracker (i was far too honest!!) I was told I was failing my second term. They told me 3weeks before Easter, which apparently you have to be told before the half term, not after it (so for me it should have been feb half term). I immediately called my union rep who informed me that they were wrong as they told me I had failed, an that teaching wasnt for me. I ended up having a nervous breakdown in the Easter holidays, but determined to finish the year (my head and NQT mentor, who was new to the role, were horrible) I ended up in meetings with union reps and the HT, fortnightly observations and weekly meetings with the mentor (which lasted for 4 weeks until she couldnt be bothered) I ended up passing the year, but felt I gained nothing but bitterness from the experience. My advice to you would be to contact your union rep and get them to meet you immediately. Be pro active and make action plans of what you will do in order to succeed, and write down EVERYTHIING that has been said to you/you have overheard. You will get there. Unfortunately I think this power trip is something that happens regularly in schools but you will get through it.

8. Georgia99

Georgia99 New commenter

I am always suprised when I read posts like this.
    I too am a NQT, I am part time and started in October. I don't even know if I have completed a term yet. So far I have had one observation rated good and nothing else. Noone even seems to care about coming to see me teaching, as if the one good rating is enough for them to forget about me.
    You can't fail after a term like others have said and I really don't know how they can base your capabilities on one observation. They should be giving you support to improve and further observations. I teach Year 10 PSHE and the class run riot for the whole hour, I would fail miserably if observed. But if I mention this to slt, the comments seem to be 'well that's PSHE, the kids hate it so just put up with it and do your best'.