1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT failing first term

Discussion in 'Primary' started by jenna711, Dec 11, 2015.

1. jenna711

jenna711 New commenter

Hi,
    I had an observation yesterday that was inadequate. Apart from that one I didn't think they were terrible however I have now been told that I have failed my first term and must have an extension. Is this possible? I have read that there is no pass or fail in the first term.
    I was given no indication until today that I was doing so badly!
    Any comments would be appreciated.

2. annap3

annap3 New commenter

Could you let us have a little bit more information. What have your lesson obs been like to date? What has been discussed during your meetings with you school mentor? Have you contacted you LEA NQT advisor?

Sorry for all the questions - if you can give us a bit more info then I'll be happy to message you with any advice.

teacup71 likes this.
  3. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

The NQT year as a whole can be passed or failed. After each term, you reach a checkpoint where you are judged as being "on track to meet the standards" by the end of the year (ie. they think you are likely to pass) or "not on track to meet the standards" by the end of the year (ie. they think you are likely to fail).

At the end of the first term it is not so bad to be judged "not on track to meet the standards", because you still have lots of time to improve. You do need to have a clear plan of support put in place to help you improve, and to have clear targets to meet. Have you had a meeting with your mentor to discuss these things?

4. Effiepie

Effiepie New commenter

Talk to your mentor about lesson observations. Speak also to established and respected teachers within your school. Arrange to visit and watch them teach, perhaps? Ask them for their top tips. Do you have parallel classes? Discuss your planning with them. If you have some 'interesting ' characters in your class, seek advice from staff who have previously worked with them.
    I'm sure you can turn this around.
    Best of luck!

5. caterpillartobutterfly

caterpillartobutterfly Star commenter

No you can't fail at this point, nor can it be decided that you need an extension. You could easily meet all the standards in the next two terms.

If this was news to you, then something odd is going on.
    If what you have written here is absolutely true, then your school/mentor are not fulfilling their responsibilities nor are they aware of the rules and procedures.

Start looking for a new post for Easter and move to a school that has a clue what they are doing, your career could depend on it!