1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

NQT failed - other employment options?

Discussion in 'Workplace dilemmas' started by a1d, Sep 29, 2015.

1. a1d

a1d New commenter

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody would be able to give me some advice.

I graduated with a PGCE 4 years ago and I have been doing supply work in schools in my local area ever since. About a year and a half ago I was asked by the head teacher of a school if I would be interested in doing a job share. I said yes and explained I would like it to count towards my NQT year. The Deputy head teacher who was my mentor left at Xmas that year. I was then asked by the head teacher if I would like to take the class on full time as she wanted my job share to be the temporary deputy and she would also be my mentor. I received no mentoring and left last Easter. They rushed through the paperwork for the NQT year and I was signed off for completing 2 terms.
    Since that point I have been working in a local academy for the last year and after an interview and a job offer I started working as a year 2 teacher this September. I failed my first lesson observation with them and had to have a meeting with the head who said that my last school had not properly mentored me, the paperwork contradicted itself and they would have to start from scratch. They proposed to complete 3 NQT terms in the time we have left up until Xmas. I said this was not realistic from a learning point of view and I was already working from 7:00-17:30 at school, in the evenings and weekends.
    Yesterday, I was ask to see the head again and told that she would be asking me to leave immediately as I had not accepted their offer of help. She said that in her offer letter it had stated the offer was subject to satisfactory completion of induction. I explained that it did not say I had to complete 3 NQT terms in 1. I also asked if I could stay for a few days to sort out some supply work. She said no.
    I have been for 15 interviews since leaving college, I am the main bread winner in the family and I am constantly meeting barriers. What other career options do I have?

2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

Sorry to hear about your problems - I guess you ran into one of the 'modern' school of HTs...

A lot may depend on your subject, of course. If you only graduated only 4 years ago could you go back to your University Careers department and get some professional advice from them...?

3. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

Regardless of whether the issue with your PGCE is sorted (you can appeal I'm guessing… ) you still have your main degree - so perhaps look at what you can do/ would have done other than teaching with that?

If you can think of it… you can do it.

4. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

Irrespective of what else you can do, you should certanly be involving your union immediately, with a view to appeal.

Within the local authority there should also be a named person with overall responsibility for NQTs. I know you are not in an LEA school now, but contact them for help anyway.

ilovesooty likes this.
  5. GLsghost

GLsghost Star commenter

There is also the not-insignificant matter that the Head appears to have by-passed a fair dismissal procedure. Have a look at the school's disciplinary policy or, in its absence, check out the ACAS Code of Practice for disciplinary proceedings.

6. phatsals

phatsals Senior commenter

I am a little puzzled by this, have you actually been failed or is it that you think you have been failed? You have already passed 2 terms, this would be your final one for induction. It would seem to me that if you leave now you have the option to find another school for your final term and could work on supply in the meantime.

7. Maccy2

Maccy2 New commenter

8. Maccy2

Maccy2 New commenter

I hate the way that Teachers are treated sometimes and the unfairness. Their are so many adjectives I want to use to describe how I feel and so much to say but too much for here. The above suggestion of leaving and finding another school to complete NQT year sounds good. Surely if you have already had signed that you passed the first two terms, the school you are currently at can't overturn that. Both schools seem to have treated you badly. How disrespectful and horrible. It should be highlighted how these places operate. Contact your union.

mark6243 and bombaysapphire like this.
  9. irs1054

irs1054 Star commenter

I think, as a matter of urgency the OP needs to find out about their position regarding the NQT year. If you have failed then it will be a case of finding another career or accepting lower pay, if you have merely not completed it then you have options within teaching.

Sadly I have heard of schools that do fail NQTs and then offer them work as Instructors (on less pay, of course). It seems, from this and other recent posts that teachers looking for jobs need to be really on the ball asking about salary, conditions of employment and specifics of job description.

The part of original teachers contract where it says that teachers should do any task the HT thinks reasonable needs to go to be replaced by a more specific job description. Until that happens teachers will continue to be exploited.

10. a1d

a1d New commenter

Thanks for your reply, I have involved the union now and they are dealing with it.

11. scienceteachasghost

scienceteachasghost Lead commenter

You have done the right thing involving your Union.

I can't decide whether I think you have been a little silly or actually extremely sensible here! On the one hand, I think expecting a lot more work by 'doing 3 terms in 1' may be misguided, it would just mean more observation (and you would get observed more than enough regardless, all teachers are.) However, you situation did sound like an 'all or nothing' and having 'failed' your first observation (although how sad things are if the 'fail' was a 3) maybe you are best getting the hell out and applying to another school where they will deal with the paperwork properly and only put you through 1 more term!

You have NOT 'failed your NQT year' as you fear.

Hope it works out!

12. stmha

stmha Established commenter

You cant fail an observation if you are an NQT. You are assessed against a set of standards and whilst you may not have met many standards there is no framework for 'fail'. After a gap between your schools there will be a dip, so to do a formal assessment so quickly is frankly rediculous. Your school is using the ofsted framework which is against all guidelines and needs reporting to the LA.

Furthermore they cannot nullify your previous 2 terms as they would also have been approved by the NQT manager at your LA. How long have you been at this school? Has your employment been continuous? If it has then they are breaking the law and you should submit a grievance immediately followed by a letter informing them that if they continue their behaviour you will file a claim through the tribunal.

If you would like to discuss the matter peivately send me a personal message.